Engine Dilema

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shea

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Had my bottom end rebuilt on my 1600 dp last year and did 1700 miles on the engine but it was burning a lot of oil. So took it back to the builder and he said it needs new B & P's and new heads.

So for heads, B&P's and labour it's coming to £450.

What I'm wondering though is should I go up to 1776, I don't have much money to throw at the engine but the 1776 B & P's are only an extra £90 and the builder only charges £100 I think to bore out the heads and case (I think!)

so I'm wondering if I should go down that route, using my stock rebuilt bottom end and upgrading to dual carbs in the future. Or should I just stick with the 1600 dp as I'm not going all out

Any advice much appreciated

I think, if I was in your shoes, I'd go for the 1776, having had one before (when I lived in the outer Hebrides) and the 1776 was a vast improvement, however I had a good chat with my engine builder and ended up with a completely different setup, with external oil cooler and filter and twin carbs of a T3 (I think, if I remember correctly) but what a different engine, and wow what an engine.
But I think it is all down to your personal choice, but also find out if there is anything else you'd need to change eg your carb, or at least set up of your carbs.

Just my thoughts
Matt

I would take the opportunity to open it up to 1776. If your engine builder is significantly more than £100 to machine it then contact Vintage Dan on here, he can open it up for around that and is building a good reputation. Doing it now rather than later is the sensible option, then pick up some Dellorto carbs second hand when you are able to, plus a free flow exhaust and you will notice a big difference in drivability, especially when going uphill!

I decided that I'd go for a 1776 but by the time I let the engine builder know he already had the parts bought and fitted. Just been told my supposedly refurbed carb I bought last year is nackard too so I might go dual carbs, which would have been nice on the 1776. Missed opportunity :(

Latest posts