Electric fuel pumps.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trikky2

Reaction score
Following on from the other thread asking where it is :-

Looks like there's a fair number of you with electric pumps.

Which do you think is the best and why?

Why fit a higher pressure electric with a regulator rather than a low pressure pump?

Any reliability issues?

I still use the stock pump which works fine with the IDF 40 carbs, to my surprise. I guess the return spring is not too strong.

The only hassle is the cranking the engine when its not been run for a while.

So what's the experiences and opinions out there?

I fitted one purely for the issue you mentioned, cranking after standing. I run Dell 36s and don't really use it during the winter, so starting was an issue. I initially fitted a CB rotary pump which worked ok for around two years, but then abruptly packed up (luckily still on my driveway). I have since fitted a Huco pump which is still running great, and is so quiet I can't hear it with my head in the engine bay :)

I'm a new convert to an electric pump with my new engine, was recommended to have a low pressure one so went for the low pressure huco one, no need for a separate regulator, very quiet, doesn't get hot (which some of the cheap facit ones do, very hot, and some are very noisy) and as I only use my bus at weekends it doesn't need to be cranked to start :D

Surprised to here you had a rotary pack up.

I fitted an electric pump more because I'm a tart and i like a cleaner look engine.

If you can deal with the lots of cranking when the van has stood a while I'd stick with the mechanical pump.

There really is no need to replace them and go electric even on bigger cc motors.

Alex VW Heritage said:
I fitted an electric pump more because I'm a tart and i like a cleaner look engine.

:lol:

well if you put it that way, thats was another reason for me lol, i got to have a shiny billet coil mount/case breather when i lost the mech pump :lol:

I did it mainly for the aesthetics as well, pump is out of the engine bay and the coil is out the way on the left hand side.
Also had a couple of mech pumps give up on me, whether it was the pump itself or the rod I don't know.

I have a Holley 'blue' pump and Holley regulator feeding my 48 IDF's,reliability being the main reason, known stock to fly to bits at hi revs (got a hi-po 2110) and Starting, saves spinning motor over for ages. The fact it looks cool is a bonus but mines out of view :lol:

i run a cb rotary now.

I built my 2027cc with 36 dells and 1/2 side kept running lean and hot. traced that to the pump got a new one that was the same. I then blocked off the banjo on the one carb that feeds the other and replaced it with an equal Y piece. it still didnt run great. Switched to the cb and fixed in seconds :)

I'm running one because the engine i bought was an injection block so no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. It came with a facet pump but it needs a regulator, if it ever packs up I'll use a lower pressure one. It always works quite nicely with the LPG setup as I can hook it into the relay so it's not running whilst on LPG rather than having a mechanical pump run dry.

I run with a carter rotary and have done for 6 or 7 years now. Really good. I found the mechanical pump wasn't up to the job of feeding by dells at higher revs. Fitted the rotary and no more problems.

The only problem I have now is if I haven't run it for a while I have to prime it first before starting the bus. Reason for that is I have it wired so it doesn't start pumping until the gen light goes out, meaning, if the engine stops, the pump stops. I also fitted an inertia switch in case of an accident where the engine doesn't stop running. Belt and braces, I know, but better safe than sorry.

K@rlos said:
I have a Holley 'blue' pump and Holley regulator feeding my 48 IDF's,reliability being the main reason, known stock to fly to bits at hi revs (got a hi-po 2110) and Starting, saves spinning motor over for ages. The fact it looks cool is a bonus but mines out of view :lol:

I have the same set up and its great but Noisey!

I have a feeling from speaking wioth Trikky before he has a high cc but senssible compression and cam'd torquey street motor and not a high revving race machine so would think the stock pump will be more than adequate also if it breaks down its an easy spare to find.

cheap facet not quiet but reliable to date (I've jinxed it now) and a filter king for me

only as I removed the filter on the tank, use it to act as another immobilser cct, and cos I'm also a engine bay tart!

Once I've gone to megajolt I'll also lose the coil [the ford one will be hidden away] and dizzy!

Lol facet pumps .. Takka takka takka takka

I never had a problem with one but they always sound like they are about to blow up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

six said:
Lol facet pumps .. Takka takka takka takka

I never had a problem with one but they always sound like they are about to blow up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

yep thats the one - it was a 5-6psi - and does sound like it is about to denonate in a million parts.....

Alex VW Heritage said:
K@rlos said:

I have the same set up and its great but Noisey!

I have a feeling from speaking wioth Trikky before he has a high cc but senssible compression and cam'd torquey street motor and not a high revving race machine so would think the stock pump will be more than adequate also if it breaks down its an easy spare to find.

Yes very noisy :shock: All works well together so I'm happy. Every set up depends on the application I guess.

Darren, remember to remove the dizzy drive shaft and washers, or use the cut down dizzy like I did. Use a rubber isolator between the chassis and pump to quieten it down some ( remember to make an earth strap between the pump mount bolts and chassis.. ;) )

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I've a Facet mounted above the gearbox using the little rubber mounts that are optional but make all the difference. When i looked into it, it appeared that some people had reliability issues with Facet pumps because they weren't mounted with a gravity feed from the tank. Mine can be heard momentarily if the engine is turned over but not started but other than that it can't be heard over the engine noise. Its wired through a relay that's triggered from the coil.

I use a Malpassi pressure regulator as I'm running Kadrons that need a 1.5 psi feed. I couldn't find a low pressure pump that went that low so I had to fit a regulator.

I've run that setup for nearly 5,000 miles now with no issues.

I've mounted the pressure regulator on a chassis rail outside the engine bay as I reckoned that the less hose I had to run in the engine bay and the less joins I had there, the less risk there'd be of something leaking/going wrong. It looks nice and neat too :)

I also have a Holley blue fitted plus bigger outlet from tank so I can ensure I get full fuel delivery all the time.
A MUST have when using nitrous.

Latest posts