Eb driveability

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

Reaction score
Hi all, during the 100 mile trip to camper jam I noticed a few issues but wasn't sure if it's my van or the fact it's 46 year old- hoping someone could advise me either way,
Motorway driving - a bit hairy in wind, being stock height and a high top it wanders quite a bit, especially when trucks pass!, I've got original steering box which has been rebuilt, all new damper and track rods, only thing I've not changed is idler pin, going to get camber and tracking adjusted this week. Would lowering make this better?
When taking my foot off the pedal from anything over 50 mph I sometimes get a backfire through the exhaust, I read that this happens as it can run lean at higher revs? Engine is standard single port with oil bath filter, pict 30/31 carb and a 4:1 exhaust, apart from the backfire the engine runs really nice.

Any thoughts would be welcome, Ta :)

The backfire shouldn't happen, running lean is a likely culprit. Best fix it before it does damage. Mine suffers in the wind also, fitted a stiffer front antiroll bar and this has helped. Slow down a bit is the advice that comes from the passenger seat, and that seems to help too!

Commercial rated tyres will help the wandering, along with the camber and tracking set correctly.
Any play in the balljoints, track rod ends, steering idler, drag link and/or steering box won't help either.
Lowering isn't the answer as you'll open another can of worms.....

I'd get the mixture sorted as well, the 4 into 1 exhaust probably makes it run lean at higher engine revs due to breathing slightly better than the stock set up.

Thanks for the replies, will get the mixture looked at, don't want to damage the engine! Thought possibly that lowering would help with the lower centre of gravity? Stiffer anti roll bar seems logical, may get a rear anti roll bar too

All the things that the gang have said, and try and check your exhaust for sloppy joints / leaks as that will give you some serious bangs on the over run, then maybe have a good once over tune up starting with your valves then have a little check of your timing too and points etc. It`s 3000 ish miles per service on the original service intervals but now they are a little older ;) :roll: ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, They deserve it too :mrgreen:

So had camber and tracking done today, tracking fine, camber ok on one side, other was out 3 degrees but turned camber nut and only marginally helped, so not sure how to take out the 3 degrees?

I never really bothered with messing with the camber until I put my lowered T2D spindles and other stuff on. Then I he'd to do the camber. I couldn't get it to factory spec, almost but not quite, so I've got it set at maximum and that's as close as it'll ever be, no big hoo hah. I set me tracking with string and they couldn't get it any better with their super fandango laser whatsit setter upper. Commercial tyres apparently will help a bit, but not too many peeps are running them. Anything sloppy in the steering department is gonna be contributing to the sailing feeling :roll: Check out how much steering slop you have and try and reduce it if you can, get someone to rock the steering and get under and track it down. It's a combination of all these little issues and staying on top of them.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,,,,, Bet they was great when new :lol: :lol: :lol:

As a conclusion to my wandering bus, I ended up fitting a rear anti roll bar which did help a little, turned out after a midnight thinking session (with Stella of course!) checked the screw on the steering box and was loose! Tightened it up finger tight and what a difference it made. Now me and the missus not scared of driving on the m1!
Thanks for all your comments

Latest posts