• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early bay steering box for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richbaker78

Reaction score
anyone want an early bay steering box.?its an early cast one (not the later alloy ones) from a 70 bay....there is a little play in it but not enough for MOT failures and it may adjust out a bit (i never bothered becasue it wasnt that bad)

The only reason ive removed it is that im fitting a steering rack with power steering so I wont require it. Until I decided on this course of action I had every intention of using it so there was nothing actually wrong with it - i even fitted a new rubber to it.

I know these are getting rare these days so seems a shame to bin it as its perfectly servicable, and better than ones in my friends vans I have driven.....so any offers considered (im not looking for a lot)

can do pictures if you want...but we all know what a rusty steering box looks like!!!
it doesnt have all the arm to the drag link as i just cut it off for speed...its just the box itself with a brand new rubber on it too, where it connects to the bottom of the column - this has never actually been used :D .

First come first served (with a fair offer that is) please post you offer on here or PM me.
Im located near bath, can post but you would be looking at about £15 as its a heavy lump.

Sorry to hijack Rich but, where did you get the rubber? I just got a replacement box and need to try to track down parts for recon.

PS Someone grab this! They're as RARE AS!!

Shane

i believe it was from heritage...seem to rememebr it was bloomin expensive for a square of rubber with 4 holes in....im happy to split the box/ rubber if you like....it really is brand new and hasnt even had the top half of the colum bolted to it. mke me an offer once youve found em and priced em :wink:

i can post it no probs - but the cost would be as above ((£15)mate as its heavy.

do you do paypal? if so - then [email protected]
if not let me know ill PM my bank details.

who was that with then? i have an account with business post and thats what they told me it would cost for 5kg which is what i guessed...they only do 48hr on my account.

If you prefer to sort out collection by a courier of your choice thats fine saves me the job. im not trying to rip you off here - tbh the steering box is a bargain enough!!

I see your after some tinware too (unless someone on JK has the same user name as you)...just stripped a 1600 beetle engine last night so the fan housing (not including fan) and cylinder shrouds are up for grabs...do you want em? dont think any of the other bits are any good in a bay. yours free for if you want to sort out postage.

Shit, sorry dude. Wasn't suggesting for a second that you were anything other than honest. Apologies.

This one came from good ol Royal Mail. Yes, I'd love the tinware too. If you could chuck it all in a box and let me know how much to post the lot, I'll send the dosh through paypal asap.

Cheers

Shane

no worries mate - tell you what - for £25 +£15 post then ill get all the tinware together...you might as well have all the bits as I have no use for them - if you use em bonus, if not bin em.

do you need any other 1600 anciliaries chucked in?...got a 34 pict ( ill check) carb (looks newish) and the inlet manifold - and a vac dizzy, all in perfect working order just no use to me as i have a subaru engine and im doing an overhaul on the short block with all new stuff (twin carbs etc) for my mate.

That's really great of you Rich. Sure, I'll have the dizzy and carb etc. Will send money now. Post when you can.

Thanks again

Shane

edit: payment now sent

no probs...£ recieved thanks....
I will try and get em all boxed up over the weekend...glad they have gone to a good home!
will get it all boxed and the last few bits of tin removed over w/e or on monday and sent.

Cheers - have a good weekend
Rich

shane - slight delay getting the tin off due to a few siezed tinware screws...gave em a dowsing in WD last night so they will be done tonight - even if I have to chop em off!!! sorry for the delay...all will defo be despatched tommorow. the carb is a 34 pict youll be pleased to hear...

Latest posts