Dirty Harry's westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheesy Wotsit said:
Best bus I've seen, Harry could I ask for details on the exterior paint,what colour and code is it?

:D Thanks!

The colour is L87 Perlweiss

Cheers Harry

Dusting of this topic....
3ceeaa84-96ba-479d-845a-9938f1c8c007_zps03a9e5c6.png

Engine out to retro fit the thermostat and flaps got these parts NOS now :D
While the engine is out i'm also increasing the compression ratio from 1:7.8 to 1:8.3 and change the clutch to a later style with guided release bearing, so this means change the clutch bell to a later type.
Further i will change out the shifter bar bushings.
Another plan i have is to make a real fridge from the original westfalia coolbox by placing the internals of a 12-220 volts absorbtion type cooler, this means i have to get rid of the watertank but since i'm not using this very often it won't be a problem.
And it has to look like factory fitted by westfalia :mrgreen:

Dirty Harry said:
Dusting of this topic....

Further i will change out the shifter bar bushings:

Hiya Harry,

I replaced the bushing on my rod 3 years ago and was appalled by the quality so much I ended up putting originals back on. All I ended up replacing was the front bush, also kept the OEM cage that mounts to the gearbox.

Des

Hi DH,

Glad to see you still have the bus, the fridge conversion sounds interesting, I fitted a Waeco compressor fridge inside my westy box, how will you go power wise, I guess it'll be mains hook up and 12v when driving, I understand they use a lot of power, a static 12v battery wouldn't last long, but I'm sure you know anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how you do it, it'll turn out great with your usual standard of detail, and I'll be jealous and wish I did it!

Happy Holidays

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Yep mains hook up and 12 volts when driving.
For the cooling i'm going to use 2 pc fans and the warmed air can escape above and behind the coolbox unit just under the stainless steel sink,here is a 8 cm birch plywood piece that will hold the ventilation slots and the switches.
This is the unit

IMG_1679_zps0be04fbf.jpg

I'm glad i didn't sell the van :D , i did use the van mostly for attending vw shows but that is a bit over now, last year i did a few fish/camp trips with 2 mates and that is way more quality time than VW shows (just my 2 cents).
Planning a few trips to Germany for next year so a working fridge would be handy.

Happy Hollidays too,

Harry

Looks great DH!

I was going to use a gutted 12v cooler with peltier element, but never got around to fitting it in.

Was it a old caravan fridge?

Keep the pictures coming.

Cheers

Alistair

*Sam* said:
Hey Harry do you still have the westy ?

Whow.. my last post dates back to december 2014 :shock:
Still have the westy Sam, not into VW scene anymore, using the van mostly for weekends away with my wife or fly fishing road trips with my mates.
With a little luck were are doing a 4 week fishing trip to Norway and Sweden next year and camping of the grid!

Brilliant that you still have it Harry and use it as it's made for.
I wondering what the advantage of using type 3 heads was ?
Cheers
Sam

Small update.

Sold my old 1641 en built a 1776 out of 90% NOS VW parts the carburettor is a 37mm, stock cam, stock crank and stock heads with a CR of 1:8.3, also using the flaps and thermostat, engine warms up much quicker now, didn't had them in my 1641, took ages to warm up.
Dog house cooler is a type 4 oilcooler in a modified housing, and the gearbox is a NOS 002.
The power output is about the same as the old 1641 but with more low end power and nice and quiet, me happy :D

i don't know whether id want to drive it or lick it. Its beautiful and very tastefully done. Hope mine looks like this some day.

Great work

Latest posts