Crank pulley stuck fast ! Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyvolks73

Reaction score
Hi ,
So I've bought a puller , I've soaked with plus gas I've heated up the pulley but for love nor money will my pulley budge !!

Help ! ;-)

Sent from Johns iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you loosened the (crankcase) bolts either side of the pulley? :)

Are you using the puller that has the two legs that engage in the slots on the pulley?

It didn't mention loosening any bolts on the crank case in the Bentley manual :-/

No it's the puller that hooks over the outside edge of the pulley :-/ . The one that hooks in the middle looks better but I couldn't find where to get one .

The bolts that go either side of pulley have nothing to do with removing pulley.A 3 arm pulley is better for removing pulley on outer edges but 2 arm pulley will do the job. With the tightening screw in the opening where crankshaft pulley retaining bolt goes tighten up very tight and give the spanner head of screw a good hit with a heavy hammer. Take the slack up and do it again and again until pulley come off. Make sure the pulley is not deformed if you're going to put it back.
Robert
:idea: :)

I agree with dustrats advice on how to use the puller with associated taps of a hammer.

The reason I ask about the type of puller is because pulling on the outside edge of the pulley will often damage it and it will have to be replaced. The outer edge of the pulley is simply not strong enough to withstand the amount of tension required to pull the pulley off.

You can buy a two armed puller quite cheaply. It's often necessary to modify or "enhance" the ends of the puller arms (with an angle grinder or Dremel) so that they will engage correctly in the slots on the pulley.

If necessary you can improve the grip and location of the arms in the slot by the addition of a jubilee clip round the arms crushing them inwards.

By pulling on the slots, close to the centre of the pulley, the effect of tapping with a hammer is far more effective since you are not getting the cushioning effect of the pulley bending from the outside edge. I hope I explained this clearly enough - it's a bit hard to get the concept over :)

Cheers guys ! I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on ;-) .

I was a bit worried about hitting anything too hard incase I damage the crank shaft :-/

If not I think I'll go with modifying a two arm puller to fit in the gaps on the inner bit of the pulley as mine just looks like it's bending the pulley :-/

Latest posts