Clutch/Gear driving issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Went for a quick drive out today and seem to be having troubles with first and second gear. When setting off in first it crawls, very little if any power despite high revs, likewise second, to the point that it will cut out/stall or I really have to baby it by pumping the accelerator until I reach a reasonable speed.
As soon as I change into third it's fine.

This doesn't happen every time, maybe 70% of the time, so I thought maybe I was selecting third accidently, that's how it feels, pulling away in third rather than first.

Also getting quite a strong clutch burning smell so...any ideas?
Looked at my cable which seems ok?

If you think you're putting it in to 3rd by accident, then it might be as simple as the base plate below your shifter has moved.

Have a read: http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

Do the in-gear revs match the road speed? I.e. Increase as you speed up or are revs climbing faster than the speed is?

Your description to me sounds like your clutch is slipping. This could be that your clutch cable is way too tight, or the clutch just needs replacement as it has worn out.

Latest posts