Cargo bay heater pipes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoggyB

Reaction score
Hello there!

I've taken the floor up today and noticed these two pipes running from the engine bay which just seem to end.

2016_05_03_20_38_52.jpg

From seeing pictures of other bays am I right in thinking these are meant to be covered in some way or connected to something else? I'm not really sure what to call them so I'm having a bit of trouble finding an answer online.

Thanks,

Boggy

That is the two rear outlets from the heater to heat the passenger area of the van, there should be two vent / control thingies so you can turn them on and off. I think most people have them turned off or disconnected so that most of the heat / warmth goes to the cab. The fan on the engine, blows air through a couple of 2" ish pipes seen when looking at the motor, this air goes around the heat exchangers / exhaust pipes on each side of the motor then hits that point where you should have some controls under the back seat then the two tubes join up in the middle of the van and then it heads off to the vent between the seats and the totem pole at the front by which time the hot air has gone cold :roll: On panel vans, those two outlets aren`t there and the pipe is wholly round and that`s what a lot of people do to try and maximise the amount of heat that gets to the cab area, just find a piece of 3 to 3 1/2" pipe that`s similar to that pipe and continue it around, maybe panel adhesive or similar. Might be worth checking if you have heat exchangers on your exhausts or you may have J tubes which does away with the heating system completely. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s not quite so complicated as my explanation :lol: ;) :lol:

I welded some plate over them, chucked on some red oxide primer or similar, painted over and forgot about them. I have j tubes and a Propex, so they don't do anything but cause a draft.

Latest posts