Carb refurb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got two carbs here. VW solex 34 pict 3 and Brosel Solex 30/31 pict. Got all internals and thinking of getting them refurbed. Four questions

1. Is it worth it
2. Do both or just 1 if so which one
3. Who does it. These do have issues so would like to get them done properly
4. How much approx will this cost

Cheers.

I got into a bit of controversy on another forum for my views on this lol as they were all fiercely 'help the little man'

If you can find someone local that knows what there doing then great, but...

I paid £300 for an original refurbed one from Machine7. That sounds a lot, but it was ready to bolt on and I sold my old one for £100 anyway. It was setup with decent jets, ran straight out the box and only needed the screws adjusting when doing the timing. And no empi crap in sight. I later found out, it was machine7 who bought my old carb off ebay anyway :lol:

If you cant get to sleep watch my 4 minute startup video :lol: SSP Engine and M7 Carb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblCfNyBwos

My argument was, all the rebuilders I found had a 3 month wait time and were £150 ish for service anyway, most were miles away and most of the good ones aren't on the internet. By the time you find one, send it away, wait 3 months until they 'remember where they put it', refurb it then post it back you could have rebuilt 10 engines.

This was Nov 2016, and I wanted my van MOT'ed and running by Jan 2017. Therefore I wasn't gonna wait.

However, now it looks like Machine7 have upped their prices to £385 now and they have a wait time of 6 weeks! :lol:

So back to square 1 now :roll:

I had a bit PPI money so I wasn't bothered, but if I was to do it again I would, even at £385. If there's anything genuinely wrong, its better dealing with a bigger company than some random bloke in a back garage 300mile away.

It all depends I guess,I also purchased a machine 7 rebuilt carb and sent it back(maybe it was a one off poor rebuild)

Since then I bought a properly refurbished carb from rage and it’s worked a dream and is properly done

Expensive but well worth it

The 34 has a different bolt pattern than the 30/31. You need an adapter depending on what manifold you have to use both.
The 34 will give a few more horses, and the build quality is better than the Brazilian 30/31.
There is no secret with these carbs really. As long as you have good gaskets, the original jets(as the aftermarket can be way off), a good sealing float needle and all passages clean, you good to go.
Strip it completely including the mixture screw, wash everything with petrol then use your garden hose and wash the petrol off with water. Use compressed air to dry and to make sure all passages are clean and clear, then reassemble the mixture screw an air bypass with wd40. There is no need for ultrasonic cleaning unless the passages are blocked.
The key point is adjusting the choke properly, adjusting the air bypass and mixture screws correctly, having a good sealing float needle, and making sure the solenoid works.
These carbs are really good and most of the times it just needs a good clean. I would not pay £385 for a shiny one if you can get the same results doing the above.

Abel

I am not adverse to playing with this myself but, there is some surface rust around the butterfly area and i think the 34 was leaking from round the throttle arm area. I stripped both these carbs and have all the bits so may give it a go actually. Especially at that price. I couldn't use PPI money, it went on a new bathroom :shock: Might just throw it on EBAY.

thejinx said:
I am not adverse to playing with this myself but, there is some surface rust around the butterfly area and i think the 34 was leaking from round the throttle arm area. I stripped both these carbs and have all the bits so may give it a go actually. Especially at that price. I couldn't use PPI money, it went on a new bathroom :shock: Might just throw it on EBAY.

Keep the Bog and just stick the rest on ebay, you can still use a sponge and the kitchen sink :lol: :lol:

I'd keep and fix both, myself. Then sell the one you don't use if you like.
Surface rust on the butterfly won't make a huge difference to anything. The real problems are stripped mounting threads, over-wound jets that cut their own threads into the body etc.

I use carb cleaner and brushes to start, then a fiberglass pencil to work out the other bits of crap. Then three or 4 goes through the ultrasonic cleaner (for £30, it's brilliant- did some scuba regulators and stuff in it too, everything comes out amazingly clean) with vinegar, hot water and salt, then rinse it all off, then chuck it through the cleaner again a couple of times with just water in. Comes up proper lovely and shiny.

Assembly is really simple and can be done in front of the telly. Your total expenditure for 2 carbs would be:
Gasket kit x2 (£30 total)
2l ultrasonic cleaner (£30 or so)
Carb cleaner (£6?)
Toothbrush/paintbrush/whatever(I assume free from some old cupboard, but £2)

This is assuming that you don't need to replace bushes or jets, but even if you do it's not the end of the world.

The spindle bearings are easy to replace as well, there is a guy on ebay selling brass/bronze? versions that you get down to size with emery paper for a nice fit.
I bought a Solex a while ago and refurb'd it. It didn't actually make any difference to my running issues but at least I know I have a Solex and not a copy.

Good day. Started finally to rebuild the carb and I have lost no26 on diagram the Plug aux fuel jet. Is it vital and where can I get one also the carb has a 125 main jet in it. Is this the right size? Thank you

It`s a plug, necessary otherwise will leak fuel there. You need to get one, maybe from a junk carb?

Use the 125, after a few miles check the colour of your plugs. You want a brown darkish colour. If it`s blackish then go down to 122. If it`s whiteish then go 127 or 130.

Abel

I have bought the refurb kit from Germany. how do i get these spindle bearings in? Press in or gentle knock with hammer. By the way they come in prs so if this works i will have a spare set for anyone who may need them.

Latest posts