Brake pedal return spring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baxtermt

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am struggling with the above!

I'm just in the middle of fitting new steering and suspension and noticed that the main brake pedal return spring had broken and was doing nothing, so thought I'd replace it.
I removed the clamping bolt but it come off the shaft, there is still rotational movement but there is no lateral movement and with the chassis being in the way....
well how does it all come apart and what has everyone else done?
I have added some pics so you can see what type I have and what it looks like, has anyone got any ideas on how I can open up the clamp????

Thanks in advance, you wonderful people.

Matt

I'm a bit lost?

I did mine a few month ago. The pedal is in 2 sections, fitted together in the middle by a bolt. (Some notches in the pedal allow you to adjust the angle of the pedal) Take this off first then it makes the rest a lot easier

From the Bentley manual below

pedal_zpsiev0bew2.jpg

Id find a copy, its miles better than the Haynes. I use it a lot. Cant post a link on here but theres always sites with 'free' pdf downloads of it on :msn4:

aahhh

This is where I differ, mine isn't like this, I do have the 1972 change over model so that could be the issue.
The shaft goes through the chassis and then the pedal to shaft link bar (For want of a better name) is clamped on, and this is the item I can't remove.

The second and third pictures show the link bar clamp, with the third picture showing the hole where the clamp bolt goes through and clamps it all together. It it this item that needs to move left (on the pic) and the shaft should be extracted (on the first pic) going right.
Hope this makes some sense....

and just to clarify everything has been removed off this.

Thanks for looking and replying

Matt

Is there any way you can tap something wedge shaped into the slot to force it open a bit? I'm sure the arm would just drop off then.

there is very little room at the back to tap a wedge in, Oh how I wish i had the earlier type!

There is in effect no room at all!

Just wondering is there any need to fit the round spring? is there any reason I cant fit a straight spring, I was thinking on the master cylinder side and pull forward to the front of the van.

I appreciate that this would not be stock and would upset some of the purists, who I do respect and would love to have a stock van, however I have just fitted a Red 9 design front end, so I don't have a stock van anyway.

Latest posts