Being realistic with a budget

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised that no one converts their buses from left to rhdrive
it doesnt look too hard
But then again :mrgreen:

1. LHD is easy to drive
2. LHD has loads more kudos AFAIC
3. Don't be gay and buy a LHD
4. Import your own, it's a piece of piss. Oh, get a LHD.
5. Get a LHD bus.
6. LHD.
7. My bus has cost me less than £4k, including purchase price and shipping (although I have done EVERYTHING myself). Guess what, it's LHD :D

Having seen a couple more in the metal I think I've discovered that "patina" means "beyond saving".

I've got this horrible feeling that by the time I actually buy a van it'll be a massive anti climax. :lol:

That's why I got my Bus clear coated - wanted to preserve the patina without having to go painting anytime soon...

Once you clearcoat/laquer, wax and store indoors I think you'll be fine....

Unfortunately the word 'patina' seems to be misused in a lot of adverts. As far as buses go, it should mean aged looking paint on a solid surface. Especially on eBay it seems there are buses advertised with 'patina' which are definitely going to need more than a coat of wax/clearcoat. Mostly (but not all) bodged rhd vans. It's being used to try and put a positive spin on rusty and structurally dangerous vans. Also see such phrases as 'needs some attention, but which don't?' and 'few rust blisters'.

I managed to get a very solid Westy tin top for 10k and if I was still buying I'd buy Mikey's. Very good value as far as I can see.

Good luck with your search.

I was the same as you. Finally had 10k to spend on a bay.

I'd deffo import again. It was nerve racking, but worth it. My bus currently owes me about 8k, but it is on the road driving legally and useable as a camper. It needs a few finishing bits like curtains and a few little mechanical bits refreshed, otherwise that's about it. There's no reason to pay 20% tax either, that's for modern stuff, not historical vehicles.

Oh and driving lhd, lemon squeezy to get used to.
Ref patina/ratlook. To me they are 2 different things with a blurred edge in the middle.

Patina = wearing it's history with pride, but also a relatively straight vehicle with minimum rot considering it's age. In other words, it's pretty original

Ratlook = an excuse for any old rusty holey deliberately da sanded left to rust banged up bits fitted throw loads of stuff on the roof thing

lolight70 said:
I am surprised that no one converts their buses from left to rhdrive
it doesnt look too hard
But then again :mrgreen:

Because its not as simple as it might first appear thats why, chassis rails are different each side, pedal cluster and linkages and all cables are different, dash is kind of easy, new steering box (have you seen the cost of a RHD box), wiring loom needs modifying, seat rails etc etc and you end up with the sliding door on the wrong side. Last time we costed it up it was going to cost at least 2K and will not add that to a bus as it was still originally built as a LHD.

Saying that if a customer is adamant on a RHD then that may be the only option but as we all know LHD buses are better to drive :lol: :lol:

Another common phrase I'm noticing now is "This will easily be worth £15/20/25k with a bit of work".

I can only imagine this being true of the ones I've seen if someone sews £10k in cash into the roof lining. It's rather fun this bus hunt though. :D

I'd honestly have bought yours ages ago if I could find the time to get to Dublin. I'm blaming you for me not owning one yet since every one I go and see I'm comparing against yours and none of them match up. :lol:

Just get a cheap flight n go for a look!!!
It's only 40 min flight!!!
My mate lives not far from Dublin, I'm sure his mam & dad would put you up for the night & cook your tea if I asked them!!!! :lol:

I can deliver it to Holyhead next Saturday and you can drive it from there, providing funds have been cleared and logbook/V5 all signed up.

Taypic on here (restore and more) have just landed their latest stock. I was up there Friday and there are some nice busses waiting for a new home 8) :lol:

I'll be picking up my very own 1969 bus from a forum member tomorrow and I can't wait. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be learning from this places collective expertise for a long while.

20151115_114346.jpg

Here she is. Only got this photo on me but I'll have a hard drive full by Monday I'm sure.

Latest posts