Battery/starting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-me

Reaction score
The bus won't start..I charged my battery and it's reading 12.6v, the starter is turning but it is just spinning as though the solenoid is not kicking in. So it could be the solenoid, which would be my next course to check, but could it be the battery doesn't have enough oomph for the solenoid to operate? Could it be not enough ampage? I'm not great with this side of electrics. It is an old looking battery that came with the bus 5 yrs ago, so i want to check this first.

Thanks

could be the one way clutch in the starter pinion gear has gone ,not unknown,you will have to take it of to test .should turn easy one way and drive the starter the other.worth checking for coroded conections first.

So the battery is ok? Thanks

Starter pinion/clutch business, is this part of the solenoid or the starter motor? As I said, this is not my strong point, so please bear with me, and thanks

the gear on the starter has a one way "clutch" so that when the engine starts it doesant drive the starter ,that means one way its locked to the starter shaft and the other way it free wheels.When it breaks it stops the starter driving the gear hence you just get the motor "wizzing".gear can stick on shaft so it dont slide out to engage ring gear usualy due to build up of clutch dust and will give same fault.

Latest posts