Awning Recommendations?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Hi all any recommendations on Awnings, there is only the two of us so the awing will be primarily used to increase living/ storage space and (very0 occasionally as extra sleeping space.

Regards
Nick & Zile

I've got a Just Kampers Berlin awning which is hugh, however had one of their smaller ones in the past and very good quality.

http://shop.justkampers.com/index.php/cPath/5_4065_4400

The spacemaker is ideal as extra storage or even an extra sleeping area.

Can't provide feedback on any others I'm afraid.

When you decide on the make you want search forums like this or the Split Screen Van Club's as they as they come up for sale and often as new condition yet less than half price.

I paid £100 for mine and only used once, to buy new it would have cost about £300.

Mike

I'm one of those people who avoid JK products having been stung once so we have a Bluebird awning...

IMG_7896.jpg

If you speak to them at a show before - or after - buying they are most friendly and helpful, a company worth supporting. One gripe is their instruction leaflets leave a lot to be desired so have a go at home before setting out with a new awning!

Why not have a look at the Khyams' quick erect and typical Khyam quality....

Sell out quick though so not sure if therell be a lead time on the order could be fortunate this early in the year...

http://www.khyam.co.uk/product_tent.asp?category=Khyam%20QE&type=Caravan/Motorcaravan

Sprouty has one so she may be able to give you some pointers if you pm her.....

Araon said:
Why not have a look at the Khyams' quick erect and typical Khyam quality....

Sell out quick though so not sure if therell be a lead time on the order could be fortunate this early in the year...

http://www.khyam.co.uk/product_tent.asp?category=Khyam%20QE&type=Caravan/Motorcaravan

Sprouty has one so she may be able to give you some pointers if you pm her.....
Would agree with araon, having played the game of killing each other trying to put up a JK one (pole & pin) nad seeing Dubberdaz with a knackered hand put up and take down a khyam on his own within 5 mins it is know on my list of things to buy

Tried a bluebird and not enough space when inner tent is up, so went for a JK Berlin giant tunnel awning, poor quality, not easy to but up, but loads of room, then some numb nuts tried to burn it and him self down at bus types in 07.
So went for an Outwell Bear lake 6, easy to put up, loads of room, Mrs Surf made a connection tunnel that clips to tent and bus - perfect solution, but a bit pricey (they do do a 4 berth thats not much more than a Khyam) but you do get what you pay for. get loads of people asking me where I got my awning from, but I have to tell them its actualy a tent.
see link.
http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=780
I have a repaired berlin for sale if interested (Cheap)

Must admit saw a few of the bear lakes down Cornwall over the summer they do look quite a good alternative.... and fairley simple to put up...though I would say get a decent set of storm strops saw one of these almost dissapear one day the awning acted like a huge wing the couple were out for the day and almost came back to an empty pitch had to use some of my storm pegs to pin it....

i just love the khyam awning, it's up in minutes and is of ample size...
sadly ours had a faulty zip last year so we're awaiting our new one which should be with us this month. we've upgraded to the familly model.

khyam-motordome-sleepover-large.jpg

We've been pleased the bluebird awning we've had for two years, good quality, no leaks and it actually fits in the bag it came out of too :lol: :lol: . We have the smaller one which doubles up as a beer, barbecue store and dog kennel :D :D . With the club camping space at some shows constantly shrinking, having a smaller awning certainly helps.

:idea: If i had the dosh i'd have a large khyam one too for longer stops in the west country 8) . How much is one of those pls? and how much do they weigh?? and will i still be able to fit my surfboard in the bus with a Khyam awning in too :?:

We've got a JK Spacemaker...

RR07show002.jpg

....I looked at a few awnings and ended up with the JK, no problems at all, it is a bit tricky to erect on your own but goes up quick enough and being a frame rather than dome as great volume to footprint ratio (its a geeky thing, but Domes slope down the sides and so you loose lots of head room) 8)

currylager said:
:idea: If i had the dosh i'd have a large khyam one too for longer stops in the west country 8) . How much is one of those pls? and how much do they weigh?? and will i still be able to fit my surfboard in the bus with a Khyam awning in too :?:
hi, i think we've paid about £350 for the biggest one. our previous tourer was £250 and the classic was £299.

ours goes on the roofrack so no idea how much space it takes up, and as for the weight, i've just found this.....

Made in a blue and grey polyester material with an aluminium framework it only weighs 15kg and has a packed size of 30 x 35 x 107 cm (that's the classic awning)

dancingbay said:
currylager said:
hi, i think we've paid about £350 for the biggest one. our previous tourer was £250 and the classic was £299.

ours goes on the roofrack so no idea how much space it takes up, and as for the weight, i've just found this.....

Made in a blue and grey polyester material with an aluminium framework it only weighs 15kg and has a packed size of 30 x 35 x 107 cm (that's the classic awning)

Thanks :wink:, at least i know how much saving i'll need to do. my bluebird weighs 8 Kgs i thinks, but i bet if i saw how easy one of those khyams is to put up i'd definatly be buying one :wink:. Putting our awning up can be a bit tricky especially in the wind, we usually look like laurel and hardy :lol: :lol: when putting it up the first time in the season, but by the end of it we are like a well oiled machine 8)

I went for the Khyam Family, it does go up in minutes and IS a 1 person job, altho like any tent its the pegging out that takes the time :evil: !

If its just the two of you I would try the either the JK Spacemaker or the the dearer Khyam Classic.

Picture022.jpg

CB

Gotta be the Kyham Motordome Classic, or any of the Kyham range. Sooo easy to put up and down, no more awning rage :twisted:
Not cheep, but worth every penny IMHO :wink:

Speedman said:
We've got a JK Spacemaker...

RR07show002.jpg

....I looked at a few awnings and ended up with the JK, no problems at all, it is a bit tricky to erect on your own but goes up quick enough and being a frame rather than dome as great volume to footprint ratio (its a geeky thing, but Domes slope down the sides and so you loose lots of head room) 8)

Ive got this one and its ace, even survived 2 days of a galeforce storm where many others such as Kyams were ripped from the vans. Out of around 10 awnings put up by mates on the same trip only these had no troubles with the conditions. :wink: 8)

we've got a Khyam tourer, a bit smaller than the classic, which we use to extend the living space
weighs in at 11kg, fits in one bag, and is an absolute doddle to put up and take down - a real bonus when it's windy/pissing it down
I ordered and returned a JK spacemaker as it weighs twice the Khyam and packs away into 2 separate bags

got it just before Glastonbury and it was a godsend - that's us on the right
P6220040-1.jpg

view inside with the optional inner sleeping tent for the liggers
P6220012.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Canopy to pull out from the side like T4/T5's have?

I bought the JK Berlin and is was shit - almost put me off JK for life.
I also have a Fiamma John Cotton and that was great but got covered in mud at the Glade festival last year so is now our festivals awning

Best by far for me is the JK Spacemaker - we looked at the Kyamm but I prefered the strength and shape of the Spacemaker

each to their own though and I still have the Berlin if anyone wants to buy it (though I doubt that after my comments now)

I used a Royal Traveller 3 with my old bus. Its very similar to a JK spacemaker, just cheaper.. I cant remember where i got it from, it was about £180

Bit heavy with all the poles but fits the bus nice and very spacious inside!

Photo002.jpg

Any web site addresses as these sound cheaper than buying a new interior (or buying a R&R bed) plus with a 2 1/2 year old daughter the extra space when camping would definately come in handy

Latest posts