Anyone used a 12v mini amp instead of a headunit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting some kind of sound based system in my van - I want to spend as little as possible. It's to enable some sounds while pottering about, great quality isn't a big problem. I'm having a couple of speakers under the dash and that's it.

This is what I'm looking at buying:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-15V-HiFi-Mini-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-USB-MP3-SD-FM-AMP-for-Car-Auto-Boat-/331559591354?hash=item4d327dddba:g:p0AAOSwZd1VWzoW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have it under the dash, within reach and will have a surface mount USB/3.5mm jack fitted onto the radio blanking plate so I can plug in a USB stick or my phone.

Anyone had any experience? Are they suitable for the job?

Yes I have one very similar.
It's not perfect Hifi but plenty good enough for me. I plug my iPod into it using an adaptor lead which has phono L&R + USB at one end & the apple connector at the other. So iPod, or whatever, gets charged while you're listening to your sounds.
FM radio isn't perfect but again aceptable. Not tried FM on the move - only when camping.
Mine was around £15-20.

Thanks Phil that's great - any chance you could send me a quick snap of yours/where its fitted? I'm thinking of fitting directly behind the stereo slot blanking plate so I can have a cable straight through there within reach.

Sorry I can't really be of any help there. My unit is fitted in a box unit I have built in the walkthrough area between the front seats. It houses my leisure battery & fuse box as well as the amp module.

Incidentaly the amp I have has its mounting holes in the top - for mounting underneath a shelf I guess.

My dash radio hole area has an lcd monitor which is hooked up to my rear view camera - for reversing & keeping an eye on the trailer as it bounces along the road.

Phil.

That's great - plenty of information! I was toying with the idea of a centre console so that's pretty helpful!

Latest posts