anyone running red9 wishbone kit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
question for anyone else running red9 wishbone setup

How much free play is there in your steering wheel?

and how much play if there on the shaft out of the bevel box? (up and down)

Bay-low71 said:
Do you mean play as in rotation of steering wheel, before movement? Ben

yea that,

but also how much play on the output shaft of the bevel box. I can rattle mine up and down, also in and out about 1mm. Seems like quite a bit of play, just wondered what other peoples were like

Think mines similar but would need to check. I'll have a look tomorrow night and confirm

Rich.

awesome response thanks for vid. Mine looks like it has a little more play than yours

got this off MOT site;

b.)13mm for rack and pinion steering.
Note: Where there are several joints between the steering wheel and the rack, movement up to 48mm on a 380mm diameter wheel may be accepted

I've measured my back lash at 20mm on wheel so should pass based on diameter of steering wheel. I swear there was no free play when I fitted and it's developed while running in a few miles.

If you guys grab the output shaft on your bevel boxes can you rattle them about or are they firm?

i've got this problem at the moment , bout an inch of play at the wheel - got simon to send me a new bevel box up which felt nice an tight before i put it on - swapped them over and same prob - starting to think its the donut that maybe flexing - gonna check it out on friday - when I 1st got mine it had the t25 box which i feel was a lot better , but i trashed that cos i was running to low.

Mine is firm I was pulling and pushing it all about the place. Mine has always been like this as I mentioned to Simon about it. He is great to deal with as my bus was going to the VOWO show he was going to bring a spare and check it on the bus if he felt it was excessive give me a replacement. Really helpful guy!!!

seems to be the norm then to have a bit of play in the bevel box.

Despite this mine does handle very well and the steering is very concise and light

I've not had the chance to drive mine yet, my wife does the driving as it's soooo nice to drive now, goes straight ,goes round round bends, stops. I am keeping an eye on it though just to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I know of someone in the trade who is regularly changing the Red 9 designed Bevel Box back for the original T25 one they used to fit as it has less play and a better feel.

Graham , i too am prob going go down this route as i have had two bevel boxes from simon and tbh not impressed i used to have the t25 one a few years back but smashed due to running too low. I did ask simon about getting a bracket for t25 box buthe just said he doesnt do them anymore. I have a good source for the boxes but if u fancy pm me with the dude u know i can maybe acquire a mounting bracket :)

anyone got a thread with some pics running the t25 box? I thought there were some issues with this regarding lowness and angle of joints.

I'd like to see the guts of my box to see what is causing the play.

Who is it swapping them out for t25 boxes?

I've just had Neil at Lite-steer supply me with a T25 box and bracket - not fitted it yet but I'll report back with my findings - but as I had one fitted when I 1st got my beam I'm expecting it to be sound .

coopster said:
I've just had Neil at Lite-steer supply me with a T25 box and bracket - not fitted it yet but I'll report back with my findings - but as I had one fitted when I 1st got my beam I'm expecting it to be sound .

cool, looking forward to your result!

I'll keep you posted - won't be for a couple of weeks though as Im at work .
Bit disappointed with Simon at Red9 tbh - he's always been sound and fairdos he sent me up a new box - but the quality of the in house boxes seems very poor compared to his other products , I did send him a message a while back stating this and that a few people on here weren't too happy or were asking questions - to date no reply thats why I went to Neil.

yea I spoke to them about slop in mine, advice was to pump some more grease into it. I haven't gone back to them about it as I haven't pumped any yet but can't see what difference it will make, and it will be a pain in the bum as the grease nipples in a stupid place.

I have noticed at the shows the beam is on display which is a work of art but no sign of a bevel box on display as they look a bit poo

I'll have a look at their bus next time I'm there see if it's any tighter.

Overall I'm still happy with it and glad I went for it, even with the inch of play it's different class to the stock setup

Yeah Im happy too , but the inch of play is unacceptable imo - if you had driven mine with the T25 box on - you deffo wouldn't be happy - 1800 notes and it still drives like its got a old tired steering box albeit the ride is nice - I drove from Scotland to Spain and back end of July there and it wasn't a pleasurable experience constantly having to correct the steering

coopster said:
Yeah Im happy too , but the inch of play is unacceptable imo - if you had driven mine with the T25 box on - you deffo wouldn't be happy - 1800 notes and it still drives like its got a old tired steering box albeit the ride is nice - I drove from Scotland to Spain and back end of July there and it wasn't a pleasurable experience constantly having to correct the steering

you converted it yet dude? I'm awaiting your result with anticipation!

Latest posts