Anyone have a list of nuts, bolts, and screws?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Dubnuts

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm rebuilding a 71 crossover I bought as a half finished rebuild, and as usual with such a project there's a lot of nuts, bolts, and screws either missing or wrong. Does anyone have or know of a list of the sizes and locations of the fasteners used on an Early Bay so I can start building my shopping list?
Let me know if you know, thanks in advance.
Fran

:shock: JEEZ-O Rusty :shock:

A list of all fasteners for a whole bus? Give us a chance... perhaps a question such as...

"I wondered if anyone knows the bolt length/pitch/grade* for the left hand bumper step to body bolts...?"

...might yield more results!

I have a crossover and may be able to help with specifics :D

* delete as applcable

That place called EBay, if you put in ....t2 vw screw set
I know it sounds weird but its a great place to start when looking for sets to do specific things.
Use the stainless stuff, lasts longer. Happy hunting.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks for the replies so far guys/gals. I know you can buy sets from eBay etc but I'm also aware £7 for 8 screws and 4 washers is expensive, stainless or not. I usually hit the autojumbles and buy the bits I need in a oner but to do so I need to know the sizes and someone must have done the research already for companies to be able to sell sets in the first place. I think I'll have to dig through the parts manuals as I'm pretty sure VW would detail them somewhere, just thought I'd ask before I bury my head in the books.

There isn't really one set, because there are a lot of different sort of variables:
-Year
-Spec, interior etc
-how far do you go, do you include every engine bolt etc? Are screws included, funny anti rotation washers etc.?

Don't go for stainless just because it's shiny, it's often not as hard as the appropriate high carbon steel bolts. You're ok with it for non- loaded stuff but you do have to be careful with suspension parts etc.

When I did mine I started buying batches of bolts, washers, spring washers, nuts and nylocs. I think the bulk of fittings are M6 and M8 of various lengths. There are a number of much heavier duty fittings, Beam bolts, shock bolts etc but M6 & M8 are the most common.
As you rightly say, the packs on Ebay are a bit of a con and have the scene tax on them. Just find a cheap UK supplier and order batches up, you will soon realise what sizes are most popular so you can re-stock.
I did buy my s/steel bumper bolts in a pre-packaged form but everything else was loose.

Mags

I bought a 'full' set from Volksbolts to get me started, then added more ad-hoc.

Volksbolts have put quite a lot of work into identifying fixings by model and year, then sourcing them at the right specification etc. So it is worth buying a set of the most common fixings from them.

For critical / important components, I paid a premium from the usual parts suppliers (Just Kampers / VWH etc), to get exactly the correct fixing which is designed within tolerances for the application. It is expensive, however it saved me having to research the specification for each fixing, then sourcing it at a reasonable price etc.

For non-critical components, I estimate what I will need, then go get a big bag of fixings from a local trade hardware store.

Hope that helps.

Trust me £70ish might seem a lot for nuts and bolts but the time/faffing on it saves is worth the money easily.

All bagged, labelled and work fine.

Cheers for the replies guys. I'm not too worried about the engine, M8 and M10 type nuts and bolts as, having been playing with Aircooled motors for 30+ years I have a few stocks of suitable bits for them and the larger bolt sets from eBay are looking a decent option though they'll also include some bits i don't need. My current issue is returning to a Bay window after a 20 year gap and picking up a part finished resto where a lot of the proper fixings have either been lost or replaced with any old screw that'll hold it. The kind of bits I'm after initially are for the dash air vents, the instrument pod, front and rear lights and indicators. The real odd ball I need is the two bolts (M5?) that hold the indicator stalk in it's housing and from the diagrams appear to be two different lengths. :roll:

Ah, In that case you might be able to identify the correct fixings via the microfiche, I manged to find out a few odd ones this way.
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mags said:
Ah, In that case you might be able to identify the correct fixings via the microfiche, I manged to find out a few odd ones this way.
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent find that man! I found a part number I'd been looking for in a couple of minutes as it's a lot easier to read than the German parts manuals. I tried to go back into the rest of the site to see if there were more resources but it doesn't appear to be a viable site since 2011 :-(

Latest posts