Any top tips for fitting new seat covers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Ie replacing the original vinyl ones not putting on some dodgy 70's sheep skin ones. Picked up some EB replacement covers from Spirit of the 50's at Stanford Hall this year. Any advice or threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick & Zile :)

Did it on a Splitty a couple of years back,2 things spring to mind,put them in the drier for a couple of mins to make them more supple and have a good strong assistant.Found some good info on the Samba. I shall be doing it on my Bay when funds allow. :)

a pair of hog ring pliers are handy but expensive.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8734&frostProductName=Hog%20Ring%20Pliers&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hiya Big,

Definitely slip those covers into a pillow case and let them warm up in the dryer.

Try not to pull on the "ends" of the covers when fitting them on the seats. The vinyl will tear. Instead you want to massage the covers down and into place. On seat backs cover the seat back with a plastic trash bag, sprinkle it with talcum powder, and slip the warmed up seat cover on over it.

No matter what helpful hints you get, remeber that this is NOT a one person job. You really need a helper.

Wolfsburg West in California have made a brilliant DVD showing exactly how to do this. My DVD came free with some seat pads and other stuff. If you email Ron Bengry at WW, I'm sure he would send you the DVD at a good price. Top bloke - helpful and honest!

Latest posts