Another Electrics question How to wire a van - Sorry

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymac0143

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive just recently joined the forum and recently joined the VW Camper scene after years of owning classic minis. (Some say moved from one rust money pit to a bigger one), but we've had a little boy and want to have a few years holidaying with him and we love the idea of a van and have recently been able to afford one.

We have a 72 Bay westy LHD American import and plan is already underway stripping it back to bare shell for respray and also looking into wiring.

Basically what I want is:
12V lighting (some spots and discreet small lights) all LED
12v water pump for tap
12v & 240v TV
12v & 240v Fridge
2 double 240v sockets

I'd like to have the ability that when connected on 240v mains at a site that it overrides the 12V leisure battery and ideally smart charges it, but still want to be able to use all the lights etc... even though they are 12v. Does that makes sense?

I'd like two sets of lights on switches independant of each other ie the spots on one and the others on another switch and the water pump on a switch too.

We have 240v hookup installed with Breakers etc.. and a leisure battery, but apart from that I need to fit everything else, so while stripping the van back I'd like to get the van wired properly.

Any suggestions from anyone in the know of the best ways to tackle it and what control units I may need to override the 12v when mains is plugged in etc..? For control units the more modern, small and discreet the better.(just personal taste) and as always the cheaper the better (but not to compromise reliability)

Any help, redirection to other posts, links etc... really greatfully received.

Andy & Claire (and Baby Seth)

I just use a 5A Ctek charger hooked up to the battery when on mains. The 12V still runs from the battery but the battery is constantly being maintained by the charger and it's unlikely you will be drawing enough to run it flat. You an get into the world of zig units etc but they are on the bulky side and don't offer a great deal more for my usage.

Stick the charger along with an extra socket next to your 240V consumer unit and run some cabling from the charger to the battery. The Ctek's use a "comfort clip" system so my intention was to run a lead into the engine bay and then have individual wiring to the starter battery and leisure battery. This will allow me to charge the starter in the garage over winter etc without having an extra charger or moving lots of stuff around.

Latest posts