about ready to throw in the towel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andewilson

Reaction score
Any more of this and I'm guna set alight to my f##king bus.
Every part I buy, or have bought is junk.
Nothing fits. When it does, it doesn't look too good.
Spent all weekend furbing up some opening quarters . Get round here tonight to fit them
The brand new alloy trim that fits to the door first is the worst reproduction of a part I have ever seen
Heritage ssp sell crap. The door handles don't fit the doors they sell. Now nothing else seems to either. Proper fed up and abvout ready to sack it off

I honestly do not know they get away with some of it. Any item in any store sold must be 'fit for purpose intended' yet most stuff, as you say simply doesn't fit!! The only control we have is to refuse to buy the junk and make it known who sells the crap.

If someone made 100% perfect stuff, they'd clean up!!
Very frustrating isn't it Andi!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trouble is theres probley only one supplier of most of these bits so its these or nowt or pws or nos :roll: £££££

andewilson said:
Any more of this and I'm guna set alight to my f##king bus.
Every part I buy, or have bought is junk.
Nothing fits. When it does, it doesn't look too good.
Spent all weekend furbing up some opening quarters . Get round here tonight to fit them
The brand new alloy trim that fits to the door first is the worst reproduction of a part I have ever seen
Heritage ssp sell crap. The door handles don't fit the doors they sell. Now nothing else seems to either. Proper fed up and abvout ready to sack it off

It's been like this for years, all aftermarket parts are shite.

Working in the classic car industry, this is the same with pretty much every classic,

i wouldn't say all are bad, some are good, some are bad, thats the way it is. the tooling costs on some of these parts are incredible, and unless you have the genuine tool, a new repro one is bound to have differences, and may cost too much to re-do if made "wrong"

sometimes we don't know how lucky they are to have soo many parts available, even the parts that require "finishing"

if you asked people if they wanted a better product but it would cost twice as much, the majority would not pay the extra.
and there's your problem.

there are tons of people with other brands of car out there having to spend hours to hand make stuff, or adapt similar just to make their vehicles work,

I'm not totally defending the issue, but, I'm guessing mostly, it's better than nothing.

Still there Andy , I feeling the pain too, but like Clyde says it will be worth it in the end. What do you need maybe you could get a list together and post it up and peps could suggest the best place to buy a replacement ?

Andy - I'm with you on the pain level. It sucks big time don't it :(

P'raps as suggested we should pool our resources/thinking and start a 'recommended parts list' and make it a sticky?

I've only had my bay a couple of years now but I soon learnt that the reproduction parts that all the company's sell are generally poor quality. So I decided to only buy genuine vw parts, just means you have to be patient and search a little harder for parts, either that or pay top whack.

Totally agree with all the posts above. If its just accesories you make em fit but if its replacement parts then repro stuff aint worth shit. Genuine VW is the best way to go but even the later stuff aint the best. I guess its a case of keep playing till you make it fit but when you have a nice freshly painted new bus to play with your that uptight about damaging the paint it makes the whole thing far worse.

Stick at it Andi, knowing all the work and time you've put in and tweaks youve done you cant stop now. We all need to see the final result as well as your family enjoying it :) :) :)

I know after market is a right pain but at least we can get the bits. I also have a Lotus Carlton. Only about 900 were made world wide and 280 RHD approx. Being a Carlton some bits are silly cheap but you don't have the depth of options to get the parts. Vauxhall and Lotus now don't carry parts (however sometimes you get lucky with NOS) so some parts have to be AM. However if it's a bespoke Lotus Carlton part let's say front bumper and you need to replace it you have two choices. After market remake at approx 1500 quid or genuine NOS (if you can find it) I'd hate to think what you could charge for one of them. To make matters worse more needy items are now as rare as rocking horse poo. A timing chain guide which is no longer available any where just sold on ebay 450 quid, but what do ya do. I know it's a right flaf but I'd rather buy a part and then finish to fit rather than having to wait months for a part to turn up at a outrageous mark up the on the pit.

I know how you feel, I fitted a clutch pressure plate then discovered it had been assembled back to front! After I removed the engine....... Again!

Hoping I have it sorted. The full door kits that heritage used to sell. Were made up of repro bits, ie, the alloy trim is tat. The Knox man at heritage sold me some proper vw trim today at slightly cheaper money. I know its buying stuff twice but I can't scrtach my bus manipulating cheap crap on it.

Ande, your at the hardest bit of a project , The final push..... . The battle of shite parts and bits that '' Are the best avaliable '' Yeah Right......
Original german is best so cleaning up old parts is the best approach BUT sometimes your gunna need new stuff , There is a MG restorer opposite me and the panels and parts he gets in are just as bad as some of the repop parts we get ....

Im going to pm you my number mate ;)

Gadget

I agree with a lot of the comments about aftermarket parts after having my fair share of wrinkled panels needing hours of work. I have to say that one place does stand out for really good quality panels and that's Auto Craft Engineering. I've just had a full early bay rear arch off them and the pressing is excellent, you can see where they have taken the time to finish the edges properly. No creases and nice crisp folds. If only they had a range for bays to match the number split parts.

Great folk to deal with too. :)

Latest posts