a few engine questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bay

Reaction score
have a few questions can any body please help with

first of is exhaust studs took exhaust of and broke 3 out of 4 studs have soaked whats left of studs in WD40 and tryed with mole grips and small stilsons to get 1 out as the 3 thats broke are still sticking out of head a bit but no luck just snapped of flush with head my question is am i going at this right and witch way do you turn the stud to get it out from head

ENGLE 110 CAM would i get any benefit from useing 1 of these cams in a 1641 engine

STRAIGHT CUT TIMEING GEAR would i get any beneifit from useing these in a 1641 engine

110 cam will give more power at higher rpm but less torque at lower rpm. To get more benefit twin carbs will help.

Straight cut gears will not give you any benefit other than noise.

Trikky2 said:
110 cam will give more power at higher rpm but less torque at lower rpm. To get more benefit twin carbs will help.

Maybe an Engle 100 would be more suitable?

K@rlos said:
Trikky2 said:

It really depends on how you drive/what your preference is TBH. Either will work fine. 110 will give more power say at motorway speeds or when revving in a lower gear climbing a hill where as the 100 will give smoother torque at lower rpm when pulling away from rest or driving in traffic at 30/40 in top. The 100 will give pretty much the same output as a stock cam on a 1641. (The difference between a stock 1600 and 1641 is not really noticeable). Hence its a choice only you can make.

1641 wouldn't bother it's less than a scooters worth of power for a thinner cylinder I'd just get a nice new set of stock 1600 s unless your going to split the case then go for bigger like a 1776 if not while the heads are off you could try some ratio rockers and get the heads polished and a valve job done

Trikky2 said:
K@rlos said:
Trikky2 said:

It really depends on how you drive/what your preference is TBH. Either will work fine. 110 will give more power say at motorway speeds or when revving in a lower gear climbing a hill where as the 100 will give smoother torque at lower rpm when pulling away from rest or driving in traffic at 30/40 in top. The 100 will give pretty much the same output as a stock cam on a 1641. (The difference between a stock 1600 and 1641 is not really noticeable). Hence its a choice only you can make.

That is very true. If your paying for it to be machined to a 1641 you might as well have it done to 1776 and get a noticeable bit of oomph. As for straight cuts, it said that they cause less mechanical drag and therefore give a small power gain although how true this is, is debatable :| What is true is the loud whine they create which many hate. I however love it and have them in my 2110 :-D

I'm looking forward to the whine I've all most built a 2332 with straight cut steel gears its not for my bus tho its for my Baja lol

For normal right hand thread righty tighty, lefty loosey..... :lol:

if snapped flush, you need to get an accurate good dot punch, hit right in the centre of the stud to drill a hole through and use an easy out to extract the remains of stud not damaging the case...take care drilling and ensure it remains in centre of stud. No great shakes in re-tapping to next size up and drilling out exhaust flange if possible to suit bigger studs....good luck..

It's ok tapping bigger but don't think you would get a nut on I had to get some m10 studding tint half of it down to 8mm then run a m8 die down it worked great

to do the exhaust studs put a nut on whats left and fill the hole of the nut with a good strong weld ............and then use a socket to remove it ;)

good luck :msn4:

chris

Latest posts