71 Dormobile Spruce Up........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could still do with info on headliner rods if any one can steer, otherwise will have to make a judgement etc... Been busy evenings and weeknds refurbing bits getting the bus back together the guys at the spray shop fired all the windows back in which was great used german quality seals from C&C same as Status ones. Original brazilian ones I bought wouldn't go and once I realised the difference in quality was glad I changed as the van will be a keeper. Also been popping in and out myself and fitiing headliner intail around th ewindow and then fitting various shiny parts handles door windows (bitch of a job) and generally trying to get the van water tight before the next phase.

Here are a few progress shots of the van more recently, attention needs to be focused on sorting out the canvass pop top and the insides now seats and the furniture to go back in door cards.....Never ending eh!

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

Initial snaps show the white within the shuts, these were later sprayed into match the chianti on the lower half.

IMG_3982.jpg

Cheers to the old man for lifting the engine into the boot of me car to transport it up to Lydney and Baz and his mate for helping get the lump back in, good skills :wink: .....

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

Van is getting picked up tommorw ready for the next phase...............

Cheers haveacamper that'd be great need to get the headliner finnished off now as its just clipped in at the front at the mo.

Van now completed at the spray shop trying to work out a way to temp. lower it and get it in a garage and under cover may have to deflate the tyres that should get me a few 3 -4 inches would have thought. Otherwise could get an old set of wheels and run it on the rims.

Will get a few more pics up soon.............

have you tried looking at increasing the size of your garage entrance? I did it, took some working out and i have about a 4" gap at the bottom of the door now that needs fixing but hey! the campers in!

I cut back the roof lintels, cut back the plastic facia above the door, raised the door and jobs a good un. mines got a pop top too! goes in with 2cm to spare :shock:

oh and lowered the van about 4inches of course! :lol:

but as they say... in's in!

the rod is 131.5cm long and then bent to fashion the this kind of angle \_____/ but this is upside of course. i dont and any symbols to do it the correct way up :) i'm not too sure about the overall width of the rod.

sorry for the delay

NaFe

Dubman 24 have a garage high enough internally at my house but have the lintel prob consider in the longer term doing what you have suggested. Van will go to my father in laws for the short term hopefully should just about go in!! Any chance of popping a few pics up to show the handy work so I can work out how to go about it, think I would need to remove the lintel altogether and replace with a slimmer version and then jack the door up.

Cheers for the dimensions Haveacamper have got some rods already to go so will cut and bend to fit. Guess I'll bend em a bit to start with and increase the angle as required good starter for ten though.

Cheers Rich it's been a long slog but reckon it'll be worthwhile in the long run. Likin the colour then eh Johnny, done a bit of reminiscing tonight with some old snaps and I'm glad I've gone for a two tone Chianti, shall be toasting it with a bottle or two when were back on the road.....

Brecon @ June 2006....

P1010015.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Two weeks around the south coast in summer 2006....

P1010138-1.jpg

P1010127-1.jpg

P1010192-1.jpg

Time flies thought I'd have it ready for summer 2007!

Well fingers crossed will have a summer to remember in 2009.....

Rich Oakley said:
Keep going Mike! It's looking great!

Rich.

Hey Rich you maybe able to help me i'm trying to work out the standard height of a dormobile floor to heihest point on th epop top so that I can get it in the garage any ideas???

chippi said:
That Chianti rules, and yes i am biased. :lol:

Cheers chippi can't wait to get it back now and under cover, hopefully.....

For those who haven't noted have posted some pics on the tech forum but heres whats been going on back at the house in prep for me bus coming home....

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

Raising the garage lintel, will update the tech forum with that lot as think it may come in handy at some stage for someone, I hope I'm doing the right thing....

Think the van is coming back tomorrow having been down with Tim Dubois at Dormobile following some further make over work.

I bought the materials from Dormobile early on in the resto and was going to tackle the job myself having fitted beetle headliners I figured I’d have a go. Visited the workshop and talked with Tim over how to fit the canvass and got some really fantastic guidance.

I had plenty of time to look at loads of pop tops at shows etc having seen the van in the paint realised I had to have it fitted professionally and who better to complete this than Dormobile.

I'm hoping to have a few more pictures at some stage and am really looking forward to getting the van back up and on the road still lots to do....

DSCN29621.jpg

DSCN29631.jpg

nice van and is that your van in this months camper and bus mag.

wayne said:

...was just about to ask the same question. The van in the Dormobile workshop feature...

Benyon said:
wayne said:

...was just about to ask the same question. The van in the Dormobile workshop feature...

Good spotting guys and thanks for your comments only heard it was in myself yesterday I'd always wanted my van to appear in a mag so thought I'd make a few calls and hey presto Camper and Bus Mag and Dormobile were both receptive. Cracking feature and really chuffed to have a few shots of my van in a top mag and on a Dormobile feature :D

Many thanks to Tim and James for all there hard work got the van back today and can say that I'm very pleased with the results well worth having it fitted profesionally :mrgreen:

Have spent the day clearing out the garage and fitting the new garage door, it's lashing it down outside now which is just typical, hopefully will roll her in to the warm and dry garage tomorrow, lets hope I've made the opening big enough now :shock: .

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Haveacamper said:
Home Sweet Home!!

good work mate

NaFe

Cheers Na Fe cracked on today clearing garage I opted for a Garador side hinged door got it fitted with the help of my Dad, defo a two person job got the door finished today and cleared the garage out storing stuff at me father in laws for the mo until I get the shed base sorted and shed up.

With the help of 4 people managed to push the van (uphill) into the garage and out of tonights howling gales and driving rain chuffed :mrgreen: ....

IMG_4293.jpg

that is going to be one nice van when it's done keep up the good work :D

Latest posts