68 Bay cruising speed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road speed at 3500 RPM (roughly optimum cooling) should equate to approx 58mph (it has in every bus I've owned)

ozziedog said:
Ozziedog,,,,,,,, like who’s counting then ??? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

I still count overtaking something in my bus as an achievement :msn4:

Graham L said:
Road speed at 3500 RPM (roughly optimum cooling) should equate to approx 58mph (it has in every bus I've owned)

Very much depends on gearbox ;)

By my reckoning 3500rpm should be about 61mph with a standard gearbox, wheels and tyres.

As the original poster has a type 4 engine, I'd hope they have a 5 or 6 rib gearbox to go with it, or the extra power is just wasted! :)

By comparison, my bus does 70mph at 3500rpm :D
(Standard wheels and tyres)

IMG-20140606-00102.jpg~original

K@rlos said:
What gearbox? I’ve got a 2110 type 1 motor & long ratio box and that will sit at 75-80 all day but that’s due to the gearing, when it was coupled to a close ratio 60 was cruising speed due to the revs

What sort of rpm are you getting at those speeds with your longer ratio gears?

It’s weird. I see a needle on a number.......and believe that’s what I’m travelling at. Tyre size and all the extra bumph? A bit too tech filled. With a trundling bus......Just glad I’ll probably be below the speed limits....Think I’ll go needle to 38 in a 40 mph limit etc. It’s like the old Jasper Carrot joke with the Reliant Robin. Travel downhill to realise a speed ticket. Don’t want to get caught in my Batman (or Robin) costume though. 😳

Daisybay said:
Looking in "The Samba" They are talking of cruising at 120 K/MH (75 MPH.) I have a 68 with type 4 engine and cruise at around 90 K/MH (55 MPH). Am I babying it too much? Much above that and I am wandering! Yes, I know I could do with a new steering box.
Thanks.

Yanks have got no bends to go around. :D

mike.s said:
K@rlos said:
What gearbox? I’ve got a 2110 type 1 motor & long ratio box and that will sit at 75-80 all day but that’s due to the gearing, when it was coupled to a close ratio 60 was cruising speed due to the revs

What sort of rpm are you getting at those speeds with your longer ratio gears?

About 3700 and I have quite big tyres at the back

Latest posts