68 balljoint , drum bay lowering front advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatt9999

Reaction score
Evening
I have a 68 rhd doormabile with a cool air 60mm narrowed lowered adjustable beam which was fitted a few years back . I need to put some drop spindles on so I can regain the ball joint positioning back as it's running way off atm . The bus is pretty low and also runs a Set of adjustable spring plates to level it out .
My question is that the ball joint drum spindles seem to be only available modified . Welded and flipped from French slammer .
Can anybody share how they have lowered there bus and what parts they used
Thanks Barry

Barryg said:
Evening
I have a 68 rhd doormabile with a cool air 60mm narrowed lowered adjustable beam which was fitted a few years back . I need to put some drop spindles on so I can regain the ball joint positioning back as it's running way off atm . The bus is pretty low and also runs a Set of adjustable spring plates to level it out .
My question is that the ball joint drum spindles seem to be only available modified . Welded and flipped from French slammer .
Can anybody share how they have lowered there bus and what parts they used
Thanks Barry

Hi Barry, have a little read through this lot and you’ll see about some of the different versions and the best results. You can’t go too crazy low with a ball joint beam because the beam will just grind so you’d have to go to a K&L beam. But read this and you’ll get the idea.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45111&p=595032&hilit=Lowering+gurus#p595032

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, little light night time reading :mrgreen:

Late splt K & LP beam will bolt straight on and narrow you about 1.5 inches aswell. Fit split dropped spindles and your good to go :) This is what i have done with my 68 - i have a build thread somewhere in the gallery..

No welded dropped spindles and you can go lower without bottoming out the ball joints (which aren`t obviosuly there anymore!)

If you’re sticking with the drums then you’ll have to use either cut and re-welded dropped spindles from French Slammer amongst others, or flipped from Transporterhaus. Either option will work fine with your beam and won’t require modified arms as well, as your beam isn’t narrowed enough to need them.

However, you want to be sure that you have enough adjustment in your beam to allow you to raise it up to account for the additional drop of the spindles. Some beams have been known to not allow enough of a raise when fitting dropped spindles to allow any tyre clearance, and leaving your van on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts