Anyone running porsche 356 reps on the rear?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.s

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some 4.5 inch porschw 356 replicas on the front and also got hold of 5.5 inch for the rear - but they won`t fit under the arch!

Has anyone fitted the 5.5 inch ones on the rear and what size tyre did you fit?

I saw this one on grahams french slammer thread but it doesn`t say if they`re 4.5 or 5.5 -

--

Rogers Bus Specification
FRONT

French Slammer 11cm Narrowed Ball Joint Beam
French Slammer DRUM Dropped Spindles
KYB Gas Adjust Dampers 410-265
15" Porsche Chromies running 165/50/15's
REAR
French Slammer Adjustable spring plates (no Spline drop)
KYB Gas Adjust Dampers 410-265
15" Porsche Chromies running 185/65/15's

5.5's fit, I've fitted them on a couple of buses and were gonna have them on mine but got Porsche brakes so now have 5x130 alloys

Thanks - just got in - think I know what the issue is - they're actually 6.5 inch wide!
Never seen a pair in this size before. I think there quite old- but no markings on then anywhere.
Checked the fronts which do have markings - made in Brasil and they are 4.5 as I thought.
Looks like on the look out for some 5.5s!

I managed to compare these 5.5 wide wheels to some new 356 5.5s and they are exactly the same dimensions so the 5.5 dimension must be measured from somewhere else!

Anyway , the upshot it that with 185 65 15s on, they don`t clear the arch - probably need about a 175 or 165 width tyre on there i woud`ve thought.

Karlos -you don`t happen to remember what tyre size you had fitted on 5.5s you`ve got on the rear of an early bay?

cheers, Mike

Mike,

The wheels you have might have a different offset to the 'standard' 356 reps. I've got 5.5s front and rear with 185/55s on the back with no clearance issues. Can you compare the offset of your wheels with the ones you checked the width against?

Mark

4a062e6f4987de0d5ff5e2d7a0562ff7.jpg

ac58b01e8f9e3e942e05077dd79b564f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mike .. re what you said " I managed to compare these 5.5 wide wheels to some new 356 5.5s and they are exactly the same dimensions so the 5.5 dimension must be measured from somewhere else!"

The width is measured from the inside bead not the actual lip to lip width (assumption what you may have done here) so what you thought were 6.5 are actually 5.5's

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/wheel_fitment.html

I've also run 165/65/15's on a lowered bus - just for info ... when you say they don't clear the wheel arch do you mean you can't get them onto the drum (see threads re fitting to lowered buses ie: unbolting shock mount, etc, etc) or when you fit it to the drum the tyre rubs on the arch (offset is way out) ?

Cheers

Hi - Thanks - they are 15 ET offset, so pretty bad in that sense!

I ended up fitting some 175/65s to them which just clear the wheel arch lip (but have kept the 185/65s).

With the van on the floor, there is about 10mm between the arch and the tyre, so plenty of room there - in fact, the 185s would fit.

But with the hubs hanging loose and van jacked up, with the wheels bolted on (with 185s), as you drop the van on the ground, the tyre walls really catch on the arch - so much so, you can`t lower the van.

So don`t know how you lot have managed to get 185/65s on! I would prefer the fatter 185 look to the 175s to be honest but there you go!

Latest posts