2187cc motor - what exhaust

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marriedblonde

Reaction score
Finally got my bus running, new engine is a dream and pulls lovely. I knew that I would need to change my VS exhaust at some point as it won't flow enough.

Question is what exhaust do I need? I believe the vs is good for about 125 bhp but I should be running much more.

Thank

The VS exhaust is really only good for stock engines, as the name suggests. I can only suggest two and neither are close to you. Turbo Thomas make a nice one that I ran for a good few years, now Wig runs it on his stroker, they will probably post too, my latest was custom made at Interpro nr Bristol.

Are you running standard valves and heat exchangers? From what I understand Exhaust choice is based on exhaust port size.

My 2110 is running heat exchangers and a stainless twin quiet pack.

I think VS do a version with equal length headers and larger diameter pipes. May be worth having a chat with Dan.

I've got big valve heads, i think 40mm.

Bristols not too far Just! Interpro - is that the easy exhaust? I assume they can build it to fit round my tow bar? You've got one i think?

@karlus - csp is the one i was thinking about

Need to know the exhaust port size. Not intake. I have the csp Python 45 mm with 44x37 heads on a 2332

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K@rlos said:
If you can afford it the CSP Python is a work of art! :shock:

I hear different opinions about the Python........

There's also a new exchaust from BAS Motorsport http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Kaefer-...it-gleichen-Rohrlaengen-ohne-Vorwaermung.html
ahnendorp_t2_t2a_t2ab_vw_bus__bulli_customsport_vorderansicht.jpg

Marriedblonde said:
I've got big valve heads, i think 40mm.

Bristols not too far Just! Interpro - is that the easy exhaust? I assume they can build it to fit round my tow bar? You've got one i think?

@karlus - csp is the one i was thinking about

Mine was a TT exhaust, I will be picking my bus up tomorrow/Thursday I'll ask what's available. With my Corvair they just built the exhaust around the engine so I'm sure they can do the same for you

Exhaust decision made. CSP Python coming from Germany now and should be with me in a couple of days. Options were limited as I needed one for the weekend, needed on that worked with a tow bar and one that would suit my engine. After conversations with the ever helpful Alex from VWH and CSP them selves settled on the 42mm version. Could have done without spending more on the bus this month but needs must.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi. If you are selling your vintage speed one I would be interested. PM me details of the vs model and price if you are interested. Cheers.

Hi Wolfgang, yes I will be but you are not the first to ask but you can have second dibs.

Its the standard vintage speed exhaust - see here https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251816/vintage-speed-sports-exhaust-system-t2-68-79-std-tail-pipe/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you sure you want a high flow exhaust? Keeping the pipe diameter smaller will help low end flow and hence your torque. If you go big you will lose this. Earlier it was asked what size exhaust port you have (just measure the port on the head. I'd match the pipe diameter to this and hopefully it is not too large for good low end flow.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
Are you sure you want a high flow exhaust? Keeping the pipe diameter smaller will help low end flow and hence your torque. If you go big you will lose this. Earlier it was asked what size exhaust port you have (just measure the port on the head. I'd match the pipe diameter to this and hopefully it is not too large for good low end flow.

High Jon, thanks for the heads up, the port size is approx. 42mm

After a slight hicup with the cap python I finally got round to fitting it today. I thought it came with j tubes of the right size but it didn;t so even more money to order the right size ones..

Anyhow fitted it today and took the bus out for a run. Holy crap. I thought it went before with the VS exhaust. Holy moly. I now have a few more horses I would say as it now flies. I mean flies. 90mph down the motorway is no problem at all. Thats on the tom-tom so a true 90mph with a few revs.

Low down power is still there, I can pull from 25mph in top gear without any trouble at all going up hill.

J.

Latest posts