• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1984 944 Lux - 2.5 / 127k / New Tyres / New Belts £2995

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire3500

Reaction score
I'm putting this one up for sale as I feel I'm spreading myself a little thinly right now, but I really am not in a terrible hurry to sell as I'm very fond of the car, and in particular of the condition and the colour. If we winter together then it will be my pleasure... *:)

I've owned the car for a few weeks (NB: I have the V5 back from the DVLA), and it was a slightly impulsive buy but when I saw it I couldn't resist and I'm very pleased to have experienced a good early car. It's 29 years old though, so it's not without a to-do list and I'm going to list it at the price I believe it to be worth now, and shall increase as I work through that to-do list accordingly.

So what is it and where are we at?

The car is a Pastel Beige 944 Lux, and from the original bill of sale (plucked from the VAST history file) in July 1984 I can see that the original buyer changed their order from Guards Red (don't blame them) to Pastel Beige... a 1985 colour (and aesthetically far superior) and paid extra for a sunroof, all cloth sports seats, a passenger door mirror, alarm, cassette and coin holder and front fog lights. All still present and in good condition, I'm pleased to report (although the nearside fog lamp has a crack - planned for replacement).

Untitled by iancleary, on Flickr

Someone has added a rear toast-rack valance, and it's all been painted to match the body and fitted correctly.

Since I've had the car I've addressed a few issues already, including replacing all four tyres with new Goodyears. The Michelin tyres fitted were OLD and cracked and, in actual fact, intended originally for a van... now the car has correctly sized and rated tyres with good grip, wear and fuel-economy characteristics.

The body is in very nice shape really, with the exception of two areas which require some remedial metal / paint work. Both sills are original and the OS is solid and good, the NS requires some repair. Both front wings require localised repairs at the pointy end, nothing major though. My body guy dropped round at the weekend for a cuppa and I have him teed up to do the work. Buy before they're done and there is about £5-600 of work to put in, buy after they're done and there's about a £5-600 lift on the price. I'm a simple animal.

The interior is exceptional, and I am delighted to report that the dashboard has only the most minor of cracking around the defroster outlets and no warping. Those all cloth Porsche logo sports seats have proved to be very hardy and are in exceptional condition. Only a small crack in the outer plastic piping on the driver's outer bolster provides any evidence of their 127,000 miles of use over almost three decades.

On the picture above you can see the corrosion damage on the lower edge of the sill (if you look once more at the picture of the tyre change you can see the OS sill is good and the wing issues, minor as they are).

With the exception of the under-bonnet mercury switch for the inspection lamp and the headlamp washers everything works as it should. Windows, electric sunroof etc. all good. There are seatbelts fitted in the rear and the integrity of the interior is wonderful, with only a little more wind and tyre noise than you'd find in a modern car.

I've added a Phillips head unit to the dashboard with Bluetooth phone and charging capability. I loathe gaudy car radios and so although this is a modern unit it is fitted well (ISO connectors) and looks appropriately dignified.

The car is now running Porsche approved 15w40 Shell Helix engine oil and I can report that the oil pressure is good. I had the OPRV out yesterday (30th August 2013) for inspection and it's in serviceable condition. Oil pressures are:

• Engine cold idle = 4-5bar
    Engine hot idle = 1.2bar
    Engine cold 2000rpm = 5bar
    Engine hot 2000rpm = 4-5bar

No untoward noises are heard, even the torque tube is less of a talk tube on this car *:)

So what further improvements can be made? Here is my shopping list:

• New front brake backing plates
    Repair to both leading edges of wings
    Repair to NS sill
    Repair to leading edge of NS wing
    New NS fog lamp - lense cracked
    Repair headlamp washers
    Repair under-bonnet inspection lamp
    Strip and clean rear handbrake - occasional annoying squeak at slow speeds in town
    Align speedo - it's twisted in its binnacle
    Replace LH bulb in tachometer binnacle
    Replace sunvisor clip on OS inner - painstakingly superglued back together for now
    Lube zip on sunroof bag
    Full service - changed oil and filter yesterday, PO changed timing and balance belts @ 12 months and 1000 miles ago
    Investigate dampers and springs - although in servicable condition the car rolls a bit in corners as has standard Lux rather than sports suspension and Broady's car just feels more composed when in the twists... mine is good, his is better!
    Replace rear bushes on front lower control arms... evidence of them being old when I was under there
    Oil filler neck *- plastic extension - weeps oil
    Full waxoyl and preservation treatment
    NS sidelight bulb is dim
    Replace NSF indicator lense - slightly cracked
    Resplace NSR lamp cluster - slightly cracked (have good used replacement)

So there we have it... a veritable cream puff of a 944 and with some margin for further improvement. The longer it's for sale, the less there's going to be on the to-do list, and the higher the price will be.

At present the car is taxed and MOT'd and being driven whenever possible... MOT expires May 30th 2014 and tax on 31st October 2013. Both will be renewed as they expire and if the asking price is paid (whatever it is at the time, subject to work completed) then the car will be sold with a new 12 month MOT (unless you want to drive it away the same day, in which case I'll knock you £50 off and you can go and get your own ticket).

I'm in North Lincolnshire (DN21) and am reachable via PM here or at [email protected], or on 07429 298975.

I'm asking £2995 as the car stands. I've looked at many early 944s and they are, on the whole, in pretty horrible and uncherished condition. The interiors are normally very poor and the levels of cleanliness and overall look and feel leave a lot to be desired. This is a car that I have driven personally from Glasgow to Lincolnshire and enthusiastically around the wonderful roads here. It is a pleasure to scuttle along in and in terms of agility and composure it knocks my S2 cab into a cocked hat (although the S2 is faster...). If it doesn't sell then I'll add a "for sale" listing for my Cabriolet and let "the market" make me choose which 944 I keep.

I can't keep them both though and so one has to go (perhaps both go and I buy a 944 turbo, which I covet)... I'd like to think that this will be to an appreciative and enthusiastic home. *:)

Latest posts