1971 Volkswagen Microbus.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Reaction score
Hi guys, decided I should show my EB bought in January of this year. Mikey.

I’ve always wanted to own a bus, I drove numerous buses over the past few years since I got my Beetle restored (’70 Beetle 1500). Although my beetle is now nice and solid after its restoration replacing heater channels and doors I wasn’t sure if I’d do it again at the time, but that car has sentimental value with me.

So I decided the next classic I would purchase would be a rust free one – yes, you know that isn’t in Ireland either thanks to our climate. So I did a bit of looking around on the usual forums and so on but nothing came up that interested me on The Samba. I looked elsewhere and found an ad in L.A which said ’71 Early Bay Microbus for sale’.

It was very poorly advertised but I decided to call the vendor, but his broken English didn’t really give me a picture of what the bus was actually like. Then his son spoke to me and was very helpful and emailed me a few more pictures of the bus. I’ve never bought a car ‘online’ before and certainly not in another country so I was a little bit wary of importing and purchasing 5,000 miles away without seeing the said vehicle.

Like most, I’ve been drooling on Oldbug.com for many years as they stock some really super Vdubs. I called Randy Carlson of Oldbug fame and he agreeded to check it out. Well the deal was done, he brought it to his place and later a pit stop in Wolfsburg West to be filled with parts for its next chapter on the sea across the Atlantic to me. I highly recommend dealings with Randy – a true professional while a massive Vdub addict. (http://www.oldbug.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

So at this point I’ve told you little about the bus itself, it is a 1971 Volkswagen Microbus Deluxe model owned by a Colonel in the American Army many years ago. I've a feeling he may have been working in Europe and bought this bus in Germany and took it back with him when he finished his service (although I'm trying to confirm that he did buy it in Germany). The bus was built in Emden, Germany on November 24th of 1970 and was completed two days later on the 26 of November. He lived in South Carolina and I presume either the next owner brought it on to California but I've to investigate that more.

The original owner added two options M 508 which is the additional vent opposite the sliding door & M 697 Continental tires. It still has its Deluxe trim and interior although no middle seat (I must start looking for one).

Sitting in L.A Port.

The bus was delivered to LA port thanks to Randy, and then Kingstown Shipping took charge of the bus by putting on a train to Houston Texas, a train? I needed a boat but it was great as the bus was in the Gulf of Mexico before I knew it. Not long after that the bus boarded a container onboard Sea Land Mercury to Felixstowe. It crossed the sea in just under three weeks or so kept company by a '68 Porsche 912 and '76 Volkswagen bus.

It then landed into Felixstowe and once customs had cleared it I got it onto a truck and back to Ireland and I can tell you I didn't sleep that night - I was a little bit excited when I seen this pull up... :D

The best part of that day was going through all the nice shiny parts that I got, and thinking of what I could do with this early bay. Then I found a bottle of polish and decided I would try bring up a small area of paint up, well that didn't last and I ended up doing it all.

Found these goodies in behind the seat.

This was the passenger’s seat which was in ok condition, the driver’s seat well it was just the frame that survived. Randy had mentioned this to me and told me to get the horse hair, foam, and covers which I did in Wofsburg West.

So I started stripping the seats back and removing the interior for a good look and clean.

The seat frames got glass blasted and then to be powder coated black, at the moment their being trimmed. I wasn't too confident tackling glue, foam, and seat padding at the one time.

So it's been a few busy months since January and well I've a few ahead of me. Lots of ideas and plans which are being blocked by work & money but sure it'll get there soon. That's my lot for the moment, I'm going down tomorrow to fit new brakes all round - I'm not sure if the shocks need attention but will check that, started changing the fuel lines and need to finish them off, will replace the brake lines to be on the safe side.

The beetle and bus alongside each other.

Latest posts