1971 2017cc highroof camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex VW Heritage said:
Hi

The AFR gauge on the dash is very cool, I presume you run a lambda prob in the bung in the exhaust, does that just wire straifght back to the gauge or via some data logger?

Loving the go anywhere stance and tyres, proper cool!

The probe is connected to data logger in the engine room then hooked up to the analog instrument at the panel. there is digitalinstrument also to buy, but the analog one look more like the VDO ones, and Ionly need it to show any changes when driving...
so I dont bust the engine.

Thanks for all your comments people!

Have had five weeks vacation and the weather has been fantastic, so I have been with my family and friends instead of being in the garage doing the final things with the bus. Dont want to rush things.

when tuning the engine, I discovered that the CB Performance linkage opened the carburetors differently. Also on the left side the linkage the vertical part of the linkage, the one that goes down from the arm, got a extreme angle, so it didnt turn smooth.
Building this bus I discovered that you really gat what you pay for. Buying cheaper parts often ends up with bying the better(more expensive) part, leaving you with all the tacky parts on the shelves... :?

I bought a new linkage with wires that's made by a drag racing guy in sweden( check out http://logmech.se/produkter/motor/gasreglage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
It was easy to mount and even easier to adjust.

Got a new battery. 225Ah will keep the beers cool ( and the butter and the cheese :) ) The fridge uses 15 grams of gas every hour,thats 5,5days not using the kithen burners... So, I will run the fridge on gas daytime and on battery at night for saftey and to save gas, only have a 2 kilo can.

The alternator only charges the two 70 Ah in the engine room( start and leisure) and the big one charges when hooking up to 220volt (or 110volt) at home or at camping.

Posting some pictures here,

-aircooled_kodok-, feel free to post some pictures at your site posted here( or at http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I dont have facebok :D :D

the data logger Innovative motorsports LC-1

bunk bed for Olle 3 years

AFR in action

78 kilo of power

New linkage

When changing oil also changing to better parts...(plate) :D

view from rear

When testing the bus at the approval facility(MOT? Sorry for bad english...) I dont think ground clearance or poor pattern on tires will be an issue :D (older photo)

Take care...
//Daniel Thelin

vesp said:
Great bus, has it been raised or is it standard suspension?

Si

It's stock height. The profile of the tires raise the bus a little but suspension is stock.
Its a little heavy in the rear now because of the weight of the interior,about two centimeter, so it's about to be raised 4cm to compensate for packing it up...

Thanks for your nice comments!

//Daniel

today was a good day!

Me and a friend of mine took a drive to a nearby vwmeeting today. First time driving for like two hours. The engine was really strong and felt solid and limitless :D :D :D

Temp was ok, oilpressure was ok, The AFR got to hot and shut off, this because the exhaust are stainless= hot. So I have to make a heat sink next to the probe...

Anyway, parked next to another bus and took a couple of photos...

//Daniel Thelin

surfbum said:
today was a good day!

Me and a friend of mine took a drive to a nearby vwmeeting today. First time driving for like two hours. The engine was really strong and felt solid and limitless :D :D :D

Temp was ok, oilpressure was ok, The AFR got to hot and shut off, this because the exhaust are stainless= hot. So I have to make a heat sink next to the probe...

Anyway, parked next to another bus and took a couple of photos...

//Daniel Thelin

Nice pictures - love the high stance.

But what is "wrong" with the rear fenders.... Bondo????

2ch0w8g.jpg

1971 was the first year with the new wider fender from aug., 68-70(june 1971) has fender like buses pre -67. 71 was also first year narrow five and discbrakes in front(one year only 82mm pads and one year only rear brake shoes )

//Daniel

surfbum said:
1971 was the first year with the new wider fender from aug., 68-70(june 1971) has fender like buses pre -67. 71 was also first year narrow five and discbrakes in front(one year only 82mm pads and one year only rear brake shoes :? )

//Daniel

I learn everyday -thanks :roll:

Good evening...

Sorry for not posting for a while. When adjusting valves I discovered a pit in one of the valveheads. The flat part was not at the valvehead but the round, causing the pit... :x Winter was coming anyway here i Sweden so I removed the engine to change valves. The bus looks not so nice under but not so much rust so I removed the rear axle and left it to sandblasting, nuts, bolts ad washers to glassblasting, then zinc plating and yellow chromate.

While waiting for blasting and plating ( the longer wait the cheaper...) I cleaned the entire body from front wheels and back. old underbody seal, rust, paint, all of it. Then POR 15 marine clean and metal ready, two coats of POR 15 black, the wheelarches was also sprayed with rubberized undercoating. Then mixed black and white 50/50 to get gray body seal and then sprayed it all.

When the sandblasting was done, it was all painted with POR 15.
So, hte other day I started to assemble it all. I thought I had all the parts, did not have the oil seals. So, waiting for the parts to arrive, I have some time to post here!

Some pics for you... ( a lot, sorry...)

More to come, waiting for new valves and oilseals and some AN6 for the fuel lines...

//Daniel Thelin

The bus: http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15478

Hi.

Spent some time in the garage, and I have some pictures for you :D .

Got new better quality valves, and got them mounted. Then the heads were were flowtested in the testbench my friend made, 135cfm at 12mm lift(0.47inch?)( no manifolds) no porting, just improved chambers for better low rpm torque (55cc)

Then I made the hardline for the fuel, and also changed venturis from 36 to 32.
To improve torque at low rpm and maybe better milage.

Changed the rubber hoses for the valve cover ventilation to AN 8 for no oildripping at the heat exchangers.

there also is a shutoff valve for the fuel to make it easier to take the engine in and out, and also with a wire to work as a anti theft device.

Cleaned up the gearbox, waiting for the gasket for the nosecone, then the gearbox and engine is to be fitted.

Cheers
//Daniel Thelin

new better valves
[/img]

Bad valvehead

rear brakes mounted

front brakes mounted

32mm instead of 36mm

some of the AN parts

diagram from the testbench

hardline from the tank

another angle

to the regulator

to the carb

left side needed some welding to fit

clean gearbox :)

engine almost done...

Great camper, excellent quality of work.

I'm very interested in fitting a hardline system to my van and wondered which brand of AN fittings you've used and where you sourced them from?

Look forward to the next lot of photos. :)

Latest posts