1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a small insight to the 7 months hard graft from Richard. He's also straightened/re aligned the chassis, new cab floor, repaired the front doors, the sliding door, inner wheel arch and a whole host of other bits. He's now prepping the whole van for paint. Can't wait to get it back for the re fit :mrgreen:

Cut, turned and re welded the flange then painted my new dynomax muffler today. Was expensive but I do like the old skool Californian look style systems which is the theme with the whole engine. Maybe IDA's 1 day 8)

So, after photobucket became arseholes I've not posted anything for quite a while :roll:

But now we have a new way to upload pics i thought I'd best bring you all up to speed :)

The engine has been refreshed, new bearings, new total seal gapless rings along with a meaner Engle FK10 cam, some naughty CB performance 044 ultra-mag heads with 42x37.5 valves and 'big beef' manifolds :D

Metal work is all done too, just prep and paint left

New rear corner was needed :( On top of all the other repairs that were needed

But after a lot of hours and money the old thing is looking very straight :) Just a few little filler skims and she can be painted.

After all the doom and gloom with the body work I thought i'd update some of the running gear and ancillaries.

Transporterhaus 5" narrowed king & link pin beam with the caster adjustment option

The Bilstein shocks from T2D, expensive but amazing

An 091 6 rib box which John Walkett will be 'building' for me

Porsche 944 brakes :)

But then I changed my mind and found some rather sexy 944 turbo cailpers :msn4:

Porsche brakes then led to Porsche wheels :roll: :lol:

Brought some new gauges as mine were a bit iffy, Got a line lock for being immature :msn4: and a diesel night heater for being sensible as well as keeping the missus happy

StuF said:
Cant wait to see your bus out and about next year - gonna be epic!

Hoping to have it done for Skeg vegas, that's the only UK show i plan on doing. Will be going Ninove in the beetle all going well

I always used to run a Bugpack merged mondo muffler but it was a bit worse for wear and now that Empi brought out Bugpack they are no longer produced :x Looking for a decent alternative I opted for a hand made jobbie by Dynomax in the states, wasn't cheap but was a good option.
I like CSP pythons but they have poor ground clearance so wasn't really an option and before anyone 'you should have got a vintage speed' I loathe them... They are restrictive as hell, badly made, overpriced and quite frankly sound awful in my mind so that wasn't even a consideration :lol:

So after a de-grease and some decent high temp exhaust paint i'm happy with the end result. 'Turbo mufflers' have an old skool look and sound nice too :)

Looking forward to taking it for a rip with the updated engine spec now is a follows:

2110cc built and blue printed by Hector Howe
AS41 case, shuffle pinned, full flowed and welded behind no3
CB performance 4340 chromoly 82mm super race crank with chevy journals with silverline steel backed bearings
Genuine VW vanadium flywheel, 8 dowelled and full weight and Gene berg 36mm gland nut
Gene Berg equaliser pulley with Berg twin washer bolt
kennedy stage 2 with dalikin super disc clutch plate
CB performance 5.5 H beam super race rods with clevite bearings
CB performance 8mm chromoly head studs
Mahle forged 90.5 'b' pistons & barrels, pistons lighted and match weighted
Total seal gapless rings
Engle FK10, .385" Cam Lift, .539" Valve Lift (1.4 Rockers) 310 degrees of duration & 108 Lobe Center with silverline steel backed dual thrust bearings
Scat pro-comp 1.4 bolt up rockers, which actually measure 1.45
Scat super light weight lifters with Gene Berg oiling mod
Manton cut to length chromoly push rods
Fast fab spring loaded push rod tubes
CB performance 044 ultra mag heads, dual springs, stainless steel 42x37.5 valves with scat lash caps & hand ported
10:1 compression, no head gaskets. Cylinders lapped to heads
CB performance 'big beef' match ported manifolds
Weber 48 IDF carbs with velocity stacks/no filters
Holley fuel pump and pressure regulator
CSP bell crank linkage
Gene Berg 30mm full pump with Berg pressure relief pump cover
CB performance 2 litre slim line deep sump with welded pick up tube extension
Remote Fram HP1 oil filter, mocal sandwich plate and 72 row external oil cooler with scoop
Scat tinware powder coated along with type 3 under cylinder tins
75 amp alternator with CB performance billet pulley and Berg welded fan
Al's headers merged 1 5/8 header with Dynomax muffler
Vented stock rocker covers
Fast fab fuel pump block off with breather
Fast fab breather box
Rotating assembly, pulley bolt to clutch dynamically balanced to '0'
Genuine Bosch 009 with Petronix, MSD blaster 2 coil, MSD soft touch rev limiter, Taylor 8mm leads and NGK plugs

Estimated 180hp +

Another job I’ve done is overhaul the drive shafts, had them powder coated black and fitted new cv’s and gaiters

All the rear running gear has been stripped, powder coated and re-assembled. New wheel bearings, completely rebuilt rear brakes and I’ve since changed the wide 5 drums to CSP drums with Porsche 5x130 stud pattern. While underside is gonna be done with upol raptor and tinted body colour

gninnam said:
Going to be so nice underneath when finished :)

Thanks man, I appreciate all your positive feedback. Nice to think people enjoy my thread :mrgreen:

Savage engine. But please, if they are the cast hub nuts that they look like in the photo - bin them and buy some OG style machined ones. Having had one split in half on the move, I wouldn't ever use them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts