1970 Michigan Missile.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aircooler said:
Nice! Any specs from your new engine?
Best regards
Reto

Thanks Reto,
I'm looking forward to building it as I will learn a lot I'm sure.

2110cc
Autolinea race case
CB 87mm nitrated crank
Scat C35 camshaft
CB unitech I beam rods
CB super stock ratio rockers 1:25.1
CB panchito 044 heads
CB Chromoly manton push rods
AA 90.5 Barrels and pistons
Equaliser pulley
Full weight chromoly flywheel.
Matched ported manifolds
Genuine Italian dellorto 40DRLA carbs
123 ignition
Vintage speed superflow exhaust
External oil cooler
Rotating assembly balanced by Dan Simpson and parts supplied by BJ Speed shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice components for your new engine! I think you will have a lot of fun with it! :) Looking forward to see more from your engine build up! My buddy Walter organized a pair of 36 webers for my 1600 engine. I hope I can install them for this season.

Best regards
Reto

Thanks guys, i hope it turns out well, I'm hoping for a nice drivable engine that will make the long journeys a little more pleasurable.

Aircooler said:
Very nice components for your new engine! I think you will have a lot of fun with it! :) Looking forward to see more from your engine build up! My buddy Walter organized a pair of 36 webers for my 1600 engine. I hope I can install them for this season.

Best regards
Reto

Good stuff Reto i think twin carbs area a great upgrade n these engines.

Myvanway said:
Beast in the making Sam.
Cool, look forward to updates.

Cheers Paul,
It really needs one of your sub buddy boxs when funds allow [emoji8]

Wow amazing work, just read the entire thread from start to finish. You have done some great work

Thanks mycha not as good as your spec but should be good, having a few issue with my gearbox at the moment as it's a post 76 so has a different dimension RnP so the 4.57 I got doesn't fit.

Hi Sam,

Just managed to give this thread a good read, makes me want to pop out and rebuild my engine (if I was capable😂)

Top work fella!

Ross

Thanks mate,
To be fair I'm probably hindering either engine build rather than helping, but I'm hopeful ill learn a trick or two.

Cheers Grazy, I hope it decent at least, will make the trips down to the inlaws at Cornwall a bit nicer

Hiya
Where did you get the roof bed from? Can't find online and I'd like one in my 70 westy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I got my bed from a chap called John, screen name Faux on this site, however I don't believe he is making them anymore.

*Sam* said:
Hi, I got my bed from a chap called John, screen name Faux on this site, however I don't believe he is making them anymore.

Rusty Lee was taking over production of the continental beds from Jon (Faux). I was originally waiting for one from him but managed to locate an OG instead. That was about 18 months ago so not certain if he's still producing them.

Maybe worth a call :- http://www.vwrustylee.com

Just read thru and fab job! Loving your bus - had mine 2 weeks and now desperate to get it sorted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time has been ticking by, I have been unbelievably busy at work and at home and was struggling to put time into the bus, however I managed to juggle a few things and once my garden was practically finished I cracked on with engine.
Its all built and I’m heading towards the 500 mile mark of the running process.

Wow what a difference it has made !
I always enjoyed driving the van but this has increased the enjoyment further.
It’s effortless to keep up with modern traffic, inclines are not noticed any more and I generally don’t feel like I’m pushing the engine at all.
I would highly recommend to anyone if they have the facilities time and money that they build them self stroked engine.
Bar a few little issues I enjoyed the process and am certainly enjoying the end result.
ea353c64f6f645c01f51295fa2bd0dd4.jpg

Latest posts