• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 Early Bay UK RHD walkthrough project ***SOLD***

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockcake

Reaction score

For sale, my 1970 UK RHD walkthrough early bay (Busta).

It breaks my heart but after 10 years it’s time to say goodbye to my ratty bus. Times have changed, I’ve not used it for ages. Family and work have put the poor fellow at the wrong end of the priority list for too long. It’s time to pass on custody.

The good bits…

There is no filler anywhere on this bus…nowhere. It’s somewhat crusty in places…I’ll get to this…but there’s no filler, no fresh paint covering anything up. It’s the original paintwork and everything is there is to see, warts and all.

I put a new engine in the back of it back in 2011. It’s done 6500 miles, so not many at all really. It’s an Engine Shop Super Street 1641. Pulls like a train, more like a 1700. Over the cylinder heads are a couple of weber 34’s. It also has an external oil filter fitted for extra cooling. This along with the new tin wear and fitting etc cost more than I like to remember given I’ve only done 6500 miles! They were however fun miles and I loved every one of them. Here’s the engine spec…

http://www.theengineshop.info/acatalog/Big-Bore-Super-Street-1641cc-211100033B_B_CAM.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fitted a new starter motor about 7500 miles ago. It also has a new battery as of about two months ago.

The Devon interior is pretty much all there. No cooker, but the furniture is pretty much complete, big table, little table, both buddy seats, original cushions, all drawers, legs…etc. There’s an additional handy little Westie dash table/ledge thingy fitted for the passenger to use. It’s a great interior and it seats loads of people nice and sociably. There have been some good times and good vibes in this bus! One buddy seat has an 8inch bass speaker that needs hooking up. The bus comes with an amplifier to to this…I just never got round to doing it. It looks very cool and I’m sure will sound even better.

I have recently had a section of the front panel sorted. That which runs along the bottom of the windscreen. There is also new windscreen glass. The panel section needs finishing, tack welds grinding down and the join smoothing off and paint applied.

The bus is lowered. Splines at the back and a beam adjuster at the front. It has KYB Gas Shocks on all corners and the ride is seriously nice. I recently swapped out the set of BRM’s it’s been running since I bought it with Steels and Hancook whitewalls. The ride height has come up a bit but in my humble opinion they look pretty damn sweet. Although the white of the whitewalls is a bit grubby the tires are hardly worn.

So on to the bad bits…

The bus is currently SORNed and these are the items on the fail list…

The chassis needs attention. I should have got rid of the belly pans years ago. I didn’t and part mid section of the chassis has suffered for it. The belly pans are still there but will need removing - one side has a decent sized hole and through this the cargo floor looks in good shape from what I can see. The front arches need replacing along with three outriggers and a section of one of the rear arches. One of the rear seatbelt anchors needs re-welding.

Some of the metal around the windows will need dealing with at some point. This of course isn’t on the fail sheet but worth mentioning.

There’s a few electrical issues. I think the relays need replacing because the indicators are on the blink (or not, as is the case). Main beam doesn’t work. This needs a new column switch.

A brake hose ferrule is corroded at the rear.

A ball joint cover needs replacing at the back.

A number on the front plate needs fixing/ glueing back into position.

The battery needs securing at the back…although this has never come up on an MOT list before.

Those are the fail items...the cab floor will need doing at some point too.

There are quite a few photos to look at here...
http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/checkcake/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOW SOLD

Yes it is. Pardon the slack reply...it's been a bit hectic this end of late.

If there are any questions about the bus the best bet is to text me as I'm more responsive that way. This is the only place this is advertised at the moment but I'll be ramping things up after new year with other forums and social etc...

Cheers!

Latest posts