1970 DORMOBILE - COMPLETE RESTO - IT PASSED :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found a bit of a mess on the ns panel upper which had rotten through the side of the channel so had to repair it

pic of the area needing repair after cutting out the worst of it

132.jpg

repair piece tacked into place to see the fit

134.jpg

then once happy welded into place

137.jpg

once its ground back it will look lovely

also finished off rear arches

128.jpg

Now for the fun bit the ROOF CHOP

NOW YOU SEE IT

136.jpg

NOW YOU DONT

138.jpg

139.jpg

little bit of help from a friend to get the roof back on :) scary stuff when you think i could have a dormobile pickup :D

140.jpg

once we were happy with the chop we put the replacement on just to see hat needed altering and fettling with

141.jpg

then a few tacks and tried the door, i was expecting to have to do a bit of work with the door the get the fit right again with a new roof

3 sides arent bad with the lines, just one side will need tweaking

144.jpg

146.jpg

at the top its a decent fit but the bottom will need a bit of fettling either with door or body

145.jpg

after more tacking and fettling welded into place and with the roof line welded i put some roof supports on the inside as so it wont sag in the future which was recommended by a few people the dont look the best but the headlining or overhead unit will cover them

147.jpg

i also opened up the inner corner so i could weld the suports back together

148.jpg

153.jpg

will weld back in the peice i removed so will look original

took forever spotwelding so it wouldnt warp as much and it wasnt bad just knackering and boring hehe

149.jpg

the ugly roof supports

150.jpg

finished welding both sides and primed them to protect overnight

155.jpg

152.jpg

ok here goes with friday afternooon couldnt do anything in morning mum works nights on thursday so the grinding would really piss her off :)

and just noticed camera has put times stamp on :(

whilst i was welding bits and pieces on one side of the bus my buddy and myself were grinding back welds and putting a skim of filler on o/s of the bus

157.jpg

niceeeeeeeeeeeee :)

158.jpg

159.jpg

hoping to use as little as possible and not doing to badly so far secong coat

160.jpg

161.jpg

its going well this week done more in one week than i thought i ever would, yeah must admit bit peeved that i have to mess with rear hatch door to get a better line but, very happy with the way the roof went on, but i would definately prefer to do a full roof chop rather than a rear end one

next week will be hopefully bposts panels behind front seats, sliding door, which has the loveable expandable foam in, whoop dee do, [ why didnt i scrap it -- NEVERRRR] got the ns rear and sliding door window lips to repair. and maybe start doglegs, arches, aposts etc front inner outer should be fun

oh yeah cant forget the front chassis just as bad on both sides

40.jpg

41.jpg

48.jpg

50.jpg

164.jpg

alli need now is the money and panels, so im off to torquay center to sell my body but not hoping for much. beggars would get more than me :)

You make me sick.

I wish i had the skill to do what you can :)

Can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Trouble with doing these sort of buses is the underseal plastered all over the place....

My thoughts are with you.... :lol: :lol:

Nice roof chop.... 8)

ok quick update, not had chance to do much over weekend ended up fitting a bloody kitchen after the missus went shopping lol

so only had chance to repair the os rear window lip

as can see was in pretty dire condition

165.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

after wirebrushing and grinding the area clean and leting the brush poke holes every where was able to do the repair in sections rather than one whole piece

1st bit i did

168.jpg

tacked in place to line up

169.jpg

and after welding, grinding priming

170.jpg

the rest of the lip

171.jpg

172.jpg

174.jpg

tomorrow if i get chance ill close up inner rear corners behind vents after opening them up to weld inner supports and might attack the sliding door

I'm glad that my bay is nowhere near as bad as this (well i hope it isnt) anyway keep going i'm sure you'll get it sorted.

give them a whack with your fist, if you hear losts and lots of stuff jumping around, then start to wonder what could be lying on the pans :) but i doubt it will be as bad as mine hehe, not many are, a few are but not many hehe, unless you got yours out of a swamp you should be ok ;)

quick update

didnt have chance to do much this week as parts ordered not arrived :( first time for everything but oh well, gonna attack it next week and try and get done what i hoped to have done this week

ok today i finally got around to doing a few things, first of all i cleaned out the garage, was a real mess old cutting discs welding wire, and rust all over floor :)

pictures taken with camera phone as mum still on hols :(

once done i welded the rear inner corners back after welding inner supports

168-1.jpg

169-1.jpg

will look so much nicer when i grind the welds back

then finished the ns rear wheel arch another repair panel that is no where near the right size to fit

166-1.jpg

165-1.jpg

ground back the welds on the roof and put a quick skim of filler, will nedd a lot more filling and sanding back to get this straight :p

167-1.jpg

then painted rear cargo floor area black, looks lovely

170-1.jpg

seeings as 90% of the chassis and underside has been replaced, i was tempted to put belly pans on the van, but not too sure

what would you guys & gals recommend???

I was thinking the same,but have decided not too,it's easier to keep an eye on the underneath,cheaper as you don't have to buy new ones and easier as you don't have to do it :wink:

I am now on my 7th grinder :) good thing i keep the receipt for some reason the brushes burn out so quickly and then lovely plumes of smoke as the grinder dies.

so i have now decided to give black and decker a try, was damn annoying as i was starting on the rear front seat area, b posts and doglegs :( oh well roll on tomorrow :D

and i have chosen the colours

sandalwood beige and white for the roof

ok well progress update, aftr getting my new grinder i started on the n/s b post and the rear seat area so i could finally sort out the sliding door outer sill

173-1.jpg

as you can see the bpost area is messy and as i was in the area and they needed replacing i cut out the dogleg and wheel arch, as the chassis also needs work as shown in earlier pics so might aswell get the area ready ish

172-1.jpg

174-1.jpg

176.jpg

post in place so put the rear seat area back together turned out nicley doing it in sections

182.jpg

183.jpg

next i thought id try the sliding door repairs or some of them :(

well the door is a real mess, had more expandable foam inside it than ive ever seen the window lid is non existent and the bottom of the door had liquid metal, pot rivets, and shite everywhere
i put the door on and lockied it in place, then cut outer stkin off to see how bad inner was, in fact it was bad, no bottom to it lol

177.jpg

so cut the bottom off and tacked the bottom inner in place to see how it lined up

178.jpg

after a bit of fettling sat quite nicely so put the outer skin on

179.jpg

bottom line seemed ok just a little tweak and it came out ok

180.jpg

then put first layer of filler on ready to be skimmed and re applied, the usual boring job where everything ends up your nose

181.jpg

also started work on the drivers side bpost and same with dogleg and arch but they wont go on until front chassis repaired and aposts etc

keep it up dood, not far now :wink:

Latest posts