1970 DORMOBILE - COMPLETE RESTO - IT PASSED :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as far as ive got so far welded both rear wheel arches on but only got picture of one,

126.jpg

and the best tool ive bought so far was a air powered joggler and punch from machine mart, superb machine well worth £40, the edge is spot on and the puch holes are a nice size for good spot welds, saves so much time

if anyone interest heres the link
000310460.jpg

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat62-air-punch-and-flange-tool

as for the rest of the van im going to finish work on the underside of the van the work my way from bottom to top, the dormobile roof is in great condition, quite suprising really considering the rest of the van.

also has anyone with a dormobile updated the interior, or rebuilt it as mine is compelte but a little tatty and wanted to see some pics of a nice one original or modded

yeah why that was done, i dont know took it all off other day and found nothing, im guessing it was because there lower replacement was pot riveted on and they filled as high as they could to hide it

Oh the fond memories of load floors cross members and rear quater, your doin a good job though fella. :wink:

pinheaduk said:
all the work shown took 4 days and the other pictures im about to post took 2-3 long days though, hardly eat just drink lots hehe

It's a credit to you.

thanks for the nice words, its good to here positive feedback, and its good to see other projects coming along, esp ecially when you go to the shows and see the buses that were on the forums looking a lot better than they were

also i am not keeping the blue, cant stand it looks to weird, i was thinking maybe lotus white, all over

was tempted by two tone but not sure which.

any ideas???

i love Sea Blau 'sea blue' L360 its a 66 bug colour its a dark green/blue, im also a fan of chianti red, beige or lotus white seems to be the popular colour at the moment though.

i think dormies look good one colour up to the gutters and white for the roof to match the poptop.

Good job you're doing there dude.I like it.I agree with the colour change. My favourites are light blue ,I'm going with Guinea blue on mine.I also like lotus white and Savannah Beige.Like Johnny said what looks best for a Dormy is going up to the roof in blue or whatever,then doing the roof white.

christ on a bike mate thats a serious amount of welding when you say it was cheap how much is cheap a lesser man would have scrapped that guess im a lesser man i opted for californian metal couldnt be ar**d with that amount of welding but good on ya

in fairness not as cheap as id hoped as it was a runner with mot, and even the engine has between 3 and 5mm end float explains why it went up a hill at 15mph and yeah i was very tempted at scrapping it, but you cant really can you :)

ok quick update, not had chance to do much this weekend been very busy sofar but will hit it on monday.

i have travelled to weston super mare to pick up a rear roof section, as the rear gutter doesnt exist and the rubber track is no longer there due to someones brilliant welding skills

this is what it looks like now

14.jpg

15.jpg

and this is what i got to replace it

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

my vents are as solid as anything so i might have a spare set of vents if anyone ones some to either repair of replace some later vents

ok was supposed to work o it monday but ended up cutting a tree down so today [tuesday] i hit it hard and fast , finishded rear cargo floor and outer o/s sill rear part of rear wheel arches finihed on both sides, finished rear part of chassis inbetween bumpstop supports, shaped the rear lights, finished off welding up the rear corners the little niggly bits mainly today as tomorrow its funtime

THE REAR ROOF IS BEING CHOPPED AND CHANGED

will posts pics of work done today tomorrow

pinheaduk said:
ok was supposed to work o it monday but ended up cutting a tree down so today [tuesday] i hit it hard and fast , finishded rear cargo floor and outer o/s sill rear part of rear wheel arches finihed on both sides, finished rear part of chassis inbetween bumpstop supports, shaped the rear lights, finished off welding up the rear corners the little niggly bits mainly today as tomorrow its funtime

THE REAR ROOF IS BEING CHOPPED AND CHANGED

will posts pics of work done today tomorrow

Woooah - the guy's a human dynamo - can't wait to see the progress! 8) 8)

;)

yeah, and encouragement really helps boost you in the morning, we had a massive list written on the rear window this morning and half of it disaapeared over the day, hopefully tomorrow one half of it will be gone

:)

hells teeth

man you deserve the forum award for best conversion

not converting a tatty box of rust into a fine resto

but converting from splits to EB's and resurrecting an EB in the process :D

fair play to you mate, this will be mint when it's done, anyone can see that

personally, having had a rusty box in the past, i too went down the cali metal route - i don't know how you do it, and so fast too :D

cheers baron

pics will be up tonight covering the past two days work, which was putting rear roof back on, finishing rear wheel arches, and hopefully starting the bposts and the sliding door and a few other bits pieces :)

ok here are the pics from the last 2 1/2 days work

well i finished welding the os sill on so i could finish the rest of the cargo floor

127.jpg

and was then able to finish the cargo floor whilst trying to keep the pattern going which is a nightmare with crap replacement parts

131.jpg

then did the last bit of welding on the rear chassis which i wasnt looking forward to but turned out easier than i thought, it was between the bump stop support

129.jpg

130.jpg

just glad i had some chassis steel left, fit like a glove....

Latest posts