1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i like something a bit differant lol

should think your mates one shifts a bit then

this is a standard engine, was a turbo engine but fitted with carbs when i got it so with this set up will only give about 80bhp from the 2.4ltr pity it didnt still have its turbo as it would have been 150bhp with that
but ive still got to see how it moves yet, soon i keep telling myself.
shouldnt have same problem with gearbox (fingers crossed many times) as its the origional corvair box with adaptor plates to VW drive shafts,

i step nearer with a few more to go
cheers

Oh it shifts!!

He has further plans for it, he was going to bolt on the supercharger he has got for it and fit it up with a single 50mm throttle body! I don't think he has done it yet but that would really shift!

well the big day arrived today engine in part connected up so had to try it and

the wheels on the bus go round and round :D :D
only tried 1st and 2nd and reverse so far as my coke bottle fuel can wont allow longer distances yet lol
connecting up fuel tank tommorow and have a better play
need to reset tick over as too low now
but definatly smile on face time
heres a vid of first movement in who knows how many years and my first drive in a vw

cheers Pete

well bit more conected up fuel tank connected, choke cable conected to two in one home made adaptor,
messed with the carbs again for a higher tickover, bonded the side scoops on,

2011-10-02170444.jpg

2011-10-02170457.jpg

tried to take it around the industrial estate i work on on sat but started getting a funny sound then lost drive and went oh crap(and a few more unprintable words), got out and have to say check your wheel nuts are tight before trying it for the first time as rear n/s had come off :oops: on a slope, no spanners and no phone :oops: luckely no damage and luckely had a jack with me nicked some wood to chock the other wheels and borrowed a spanner from a open factory and took some wheel nuts from other wheels and quickly went back to my unit,
in my defence i hadnt expected to be driving it before fitting tyres so hadnt checked that wheels nuts were tight but definatly wont make that mistake again

2011-10-01155008.jpg

felt it was time to fit the Chevy sticker now it moves under its own power
still pleanty to do,day of tomorrow to fit tyres to rims tomorrow and take sliding door off to replace seal, secure remote oil cooler and fit pipework to it and filter and whatever else i can get done,
also need to strip and replace clutch in daughters old fiesta which ive been puting off as the bus was more important (well in my eyes anyway lol).
cheers

Brilliant thread this mate. My favourite on here at the mo. Keep up the amazing work and the photos coming. 8)

thanks Heebee

so wheels off
2011-10-03095347.jpg

now with new tryes on
2011-10-03155732.jpg

also got slideing door off and new seal fitted,
stripped gear linkage and took out play, now selects all gears easly,
took it round industrial estate (checked wheel nut were tight first this time lol)
not much left to do before ready for MOT (hopefully)
recheck brake adjustment, resecure drums, get new wheel bolts,
door window handles (to tight at mo for electric window motors with new seals)
make brackets and secure exhaust, need tail pipes,
secure dash wiring and double check everthing
cheers for now

excellent news, do you know how long it sat in the USA unused for? that would be interesting.

hiya uber cool

havent got any history with it but there is a university of california journal dated fall/winter 1994 and a couple of other papers from that year, so asume it wasnt used much after that as nothing from after that, they have a name and address for Morengo valley, have thought of writing to the address to see if the person still lives there but havent got around to it yet.
cheers

That sounds great...was he having trouble with first gear?? how unusual :lol:

Retro engine and a retro colour scheme to boot. Starsky and Hutch would be proud. :D What are the final colour options?

Looks and sounds GREAT...... Wish I had the foresight to see potential in the unusual :oops: Question... How usual were Covair conversions?

thanks for the comments,
we love the colour so its staying the same even if it gets a respray in the future, just need to find out what colour it is? think its more bronze than gold,

that vids my mates first drive in it, when i bought this he went and bought a type 25 with a 2.4ltr Ottenger factory conversion,

as for the ride hight the bus is on standard set up its the weight of the engine and box in the back thats lowered it lol, got air ride shocks on rear but when i repaired the pipework today found the bellows are holed with sitting so long. Bummer have to figure something out with that??

heres a extract from a web site about t2 and the Corvair engine

Chevy Corvairs were built from 1960 to 1969. There were 2 body styles, early and late (sounds like our buses). The early Corvairs were somewhat smaller and more square (they were built from 1960 to 1964). The late ones were built from '64 to '69. The early engines had a lower horsepower rating (I think it was 80 hp).

From 1964 through 1969 Chevy increased the horsepower by making the connecting rods longer and enlarging the diameter of the pistons. Now the motor put ouy 110 hp. You could also get a 140 hp motor which has 4 carbs and a 180 hp turbocharged engine. Both of these, the 140 and the turbo, are not what you want to install because of their slower torque curve, making the 1965 through 1969 110 engine ideal for the Transvair kit.

You use the Corvair transmission and differential for the conversion kit. You can use a 4 speed or an automatic transmission called a "Powerglide". This is a 2 speed transmission and it's what I have run for 8 years. One of the reasons I went this route is because the kit is cheaper for the auto and easier to install, plus there is a lot less things that can go wrong: no clutch no pressure plate, throw out bearing etc.

When I say it just bolts right in I mean it! The only thing you have to do as far as modifing anything is the engine compartment has to be cut out square, which is easily done with a Sawzall and a metal blade. The front of the transmission hangs in the same stock location as the VW transmission, the kit has an adaptor that makes this possible. The stock VW CV joints and axles are used and they bolt right up to the Corvair differential with the kit's adaptor plates. The rear of the engine hangs with the kit's engine mount which bolts right up to the stock VW locations on either side of the motor. It comes with everthing you need and everything fits perfect, wire harness and all.

This motor is bullet proof. It has hydraulic lifters, dual carbs and your horsepower doubles. When the kit is installed it looks stock, but runs like a bat out of hell. One thing I like is that now I never have to adjust the lifters or re-torque the heads. When it had a VW engine I was going through an engine a year. I have had this set up for 8 years now and the only thing that I ever had go wrong is I dropped a valve seat. Also I don't have to drive in the slow lane anymore on the freeway, I can drive 80 to 90 mph. My favorite thing to do is spot a bus the same year as mine on the freeway, pulling up next to it and then just leave it in the dust. Plus, the way the 6 cylinder, dual exhaust sounds: it's so cool!!!!

To do this installation right you should start out with a rebuilt engine and transaxle which could run anywhere from $2,000-3,000 depending on how trick you want it.

The kit costs $600 and comes with everthing you need including instructions with good pictures

Corvair parts are not rare. They are everywhere and can be picked up at a good price. The 2 biggest parts suppliers are Clark's Corvair in Shelburne, Massachusetts, USA and the Corvair Underground in Oregon, USA. They make everything you could ever need for rebuilding a Corvair engine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers Pete

Don't keep tempting me!!!!180 horse turbo sounds a bit mad

Latest posts