1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doz said:
Amazing. You've got to get this running. I've read a little about the Covair but don't know much. Once you get it running put up a video clip I bet it sounds sweet.

^^^ Second that, i'd love to see a video clip of it running!

engine top end strip down

vwbus040.jpg

vwbus042.jpg

vwbus037.jpg

just need to order some bits from america for the rebuild

cheers Pete

hiya
the barrells are ok just need honning, the ring gap is .35thou and two cylinders were wet with oil so going to replace rings.
got valves out at mo to see if they will lap in as some had blow past marks and wernt sealing,
if not might have to get them reground.

so at the mo just need to get 40thou ring set and full gasket set.
which will prob be good old e-bay usa again lol

getting all the engine parts from America so will just have to wait for them to turn up, but theres pleanty to do to the bus in the mean time.

cheers Pete

dodge6x6 said:
engine top end strip down

just need to order some bits from america for the rebuild

cheers Pete
sounds just like the situ i'm in ordering porsche engine parts from the US :lol:

well had a good and a bad day today,
the good replace steering ball joints what a bitch to do, even broke a vice in half fitting them lol,
need to replace the shock absorbers and thats the front axle done,
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

the bad lapped the valves in quickly to see what the heads were like and one seat is turning so have to take the heads to a machine shop to get that fixed.
having a day off it tomorrow to have a rest

cheers Peter

something differant :D
DSC06229.jpg

got the trolley last year second hand and just had to have a play with it lol
the bikes mine as well 1940s Norton 16h 500cc, great fun.

cheers Peter

hiya bit of update,
got heads back repaired and valve & seats reground, and been playing with the wiring, thanks to Graham for helping with the steering colum parts, made clamp for indicator switch that was missing and repairs to wiring, just waiting for new ign lock to refit and test if works ok.
got some keys cut for engine bay, didnt fit rest of doors, so took rear hatch and sliding door locks off they matched so got keys cut for them, these didnt fit front doors so stripped locks apart and remade them so all doors now on one key, new front seat belts fitted,
rewired to horn, and wiper motors but broke a spindle takeing the nut off one :( . got electric window winders working, removed broken electric arial (might see about finding a replacement)
found out what flick switch was for on dash, it was the brakes lights!!
more parts coming tomorrow to have a play with.
refited front bumper after straightening brackets, and polishing bodywork behind bumper area,
still takes ages to polish a small area something on lower paintwork that just smears when its T-cut?
pain in backside, ordered some parts for engine from e-bay over a week ago from america and seller still hasnt replyed to any email and thats to pay for items!!

bus seems to be in even more parts but i can see progress in it

cheers Pete

update
had a play with electrics new headlamps fitted, rewired side lights, there all done now to sort wiring to rear
IMG_0324.jpg

got side vents today to go on
IMG_0322.jpg

some parts turned up from usa for engine referbished carbs look cool

IMG_0326.jpg

will have another weekend playing some more,
just getting messed about with delays from some parts suppliers

regards Peter

Excellent work there Peter, this is going to be a fantastic bus when its finished. 8)

did i read that you fitted the ball joints with a vice ?? must of taken a bit of doing :lol:

lhu128l said:
did i read that you fitted the ball joints with a vice ?? must of taken a bit of doing :lol:

yep it certainly did, even snapped a heavy duty cast iron vice in half on the 3rd one, so had to resort to the more technical method of remove gaiter tight socket and a lump hammer, bit of work but there in lol,
doing as much work my self as i can as im on a construction plant hire mechanic (so know how to bodge things lol and also im on a buget)
so bus will be as safe as i can get it, (all brakes done, suspention done seatbelts done) but might not look pritty till i can afford the non esentials,
IMG_0319.jpg

cheers Pete

I'm very jealous! I was watching this for about 6 months quietly getting the money together. When I got there you'd beat be by a couple of weeks. It looks a great bus and I'm so pleased you're sticking with the engine - if you'd abandonded that I'd have cried!

I'll be watching this thread for sure - I can see it's in good hands.:)

thanks zedbed, sorry to beat you to it, looks like youve got your hands full with your project, Spiders and all,

bit more done widscreen out, cut out bad metal weld in new strips fill, sand and paint, havent had chance to find paint colour yet so just gloss black at mo,
petesamsumg224.jpg

petesamsumg213.jpg

engine tin wear stripped down primed and painted got final parts to start engine top end rebuild to collect tomorrow then the fun starts,

petesamsumg227.jpg

got a alternator form USA to replace totaly u/s dynamo but its never that easy as this needed a differant mounting so out with the hacksaw and bit of fiddling and made a new mount for it,(had to get it to light up verticaly and horisontaly with crank pully and cooling fan on top of engine not easy) will make a rear suport when engine back together so i know where it will sit
petesamsumg229.jpg

got stung with each delivery from USA for import vat what a swindle, wasnt even consistent in what the charged for each delivery and £8 each time for administration what a joke, but it was the only way i could get the parts i needed to get engine running so what dso you do?

buisy till monday then will start cleaning pistons, re ringing, honing barrels, rebuild heads with valve seals, and new gaskets hope to try get it running if all goes well by the end of the day, fingers crossed lol

all the best everyone
cheers Pete

windscreen back in with new seal not a delux one as will need to rip it out again to fit new head lining when i get one and all other seals need replaceing so just bought cheepest plain one for now,
so fornt end all working dash back together as well, still sorting wiring out but that will be ongoing till checked out back wiring to split indicators from brake lights,

petesamsumg221.jpg

now got wipers working,new electric washer pump, twin washer jets, just waiting for replacement electric arial from a mate, still looking as to what radio to fit.
replaced flasher relay as that was tempremental, got dash clock working, its coming on bit slower than i wanted but thats the way these things go, will get there in the end

cheers Peter

Not happy with your slow progress? You've had your bus for a little over two months, I'd say you've done an amazing job already, very excited about this bus and that 6 cylinder joy, exotic!

Seen this in the flesh when it was at grahams and its a tidy bu.

You ve done a lot of good stuff with it in a short space of time, it may be slow progress to you but as above its a lot fatser than some :)

Must say i think the gloss black really goes with the champagne gold colour. Is the black a permanent thing?

Nugsy said:
You ve done a lot of good stuff with it in a short space of time, it may be slow progress to you but as above its a lot fatser than some :)

Must say i think the gloss black really goes with the champagne gold colour. Is the black a permanent thing?

What he said, iv been going nearly 4 years now, and iv seen some threads that havent moved much in that time. your doing some stirling work there chap (donns flat cap and lights pipe)

And i do quite like the gloss black look round the screen, it looks like Zorro. i think it should be for keeps.

I think this bus ouldn't have found a better home/owner. You're doing a cracking job!

And the black/champagne colour combo really looks good imho! 8)

Latest posts