1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finaly fitted throttle pedal kit, lovely bit of kit, and also changed the points for the first time since bus was parked up in 94 lol,
Ballenced carbs ready for campin trip to New Quay wales next sat, goin fully loaded with drive away awning and towin a trailer tent as well so should be fun (me gail and the dog in bus an awning and Gails daughter, boyfriend and granddaughter in trailer tent)
Just hope the weather is nice,

Sure i saw this near Coventry when i was on my way to Aircooled 14 Looking good still ! 8)

well just got back from a very hot week in Wales at a little campsite near New Quay called Cei Bach, great views from site onto beach and only a 200yard walk down to the beach, Bus was fully loaded with two loads of camping gear including towing a trailer tent i bought, we had bus and awning and Gails daughter, boyfriend and granddaughter had trailer tent, 3 of the caravans on site were owned by relatives of Gails so pleanty of booze and BBQ's all week.

stopped for coffee on way fully loaded

trailer tent up with the sea in the background

my and Gails accommodation for the week

full camp set up

view from the tent couldnt ask for any better

72bay converted panel turned out they were from 20miles from our home

coffee and cake

how to stop your dog pulling like hell to get on the beach lol

bus worked brilliant even with all the weight and trailer tent on tow, think i got 23 MPG only dropped to 2nd gear a couple of times on the hills

Now that is fully laden :shock:
Hope you didn't go over the max towing and carrying weight ;)

That trailer tent, when opened up looks massive!

Glad you had a good un'

Cheers yea trailer tent was good, good old ebay purchase for £350, na wasnt overweight just looks a lot towed really well, just got to have a look at the carbs as got a bit of a overrun pop mainly when driving in 3rd, will prob need to strip and check carbs as not done that since getting bus on road, might just be a gaskit problem.
Booked for Brighton breeze again no 117, and two nights at hotel just outside Brighton (keep Gail happy lol)
Have fun all

been pritty quiet just pottering about in bus when ever i can.

been to a couple of local shows one 1940's

someone else into the 1940's

day triped to Back to Basics (good little local show) which i got a trophy for!!

getting bored at nights so back to building scale models here's the latest effort at 1.1m long.

next one is brighton for me

nice 400 mile round trip to Brighton breeze no problems this time, lovely weather on the Friday,
and the Sunday shame it rained on the sat afternoon,
good line up and nice to talk to people,

picked up a couple of canvas windbreaks but not a lot else
hope everyone made it back OK.

saw this in a side street thought it was cool

the line up

cheers Peter and Gail

Took bus to work today
Replace one front balljoint boot and all four CV joints that were all split,
for upcoming mot, also repainted White wall on tyres as they had mostly worn off

cheers Gvee, wasnt expecting one but they must have taken pity on me lol,

MOT passed with no advisorys after reconecting horn wire to colum before taking it mot,
about 9,000miles since puting on road 3 years ago,

noticed steering coupling cracked whislt fixing horn so thats next on list but paying for good quality this time as it shorts through on bolts using the cheep ones
also twin horns are sounding week so will replace them as well, thinking of getting a arrugga horn as well lol

might go to DTA meet in Brum on Sunday as last years was good to visit.

hi all

been just plodding about in bus the last sat one of the cherry bomb silencers came adrift so hasty look on internet found a company
not to far away that makes them so took the broken one and they made two to pattern,

made some new brakets and welded them to them and sealed them onto existing pipework (might get them to remake that as looking a bit tatty but thats in the future)

also had a play with the 1969 Huffy bicycle to make it look like a 1940's one

from

to

well hope your all ready for x-mas im not lol
wishing you all a merry x-mas

looks like its been a while since i posted, just been plodding about in bus and some minor jobs,

got itchy fingers so bought another engine to play with 2.7 140 horses flat six corvair again

had it winding on starter so far and removing panels to get good look at what i bought
lets see if i can bring it back to life unlike the mice that were on it lol

no not a bag puss engine it lives

well after snaping the cone of the startermotor i wont repeat my words,
then after a long look at it and a few holes drilled in it and welding rods inserted to keep it tight,
IT RUNS

its actually quite smooth, but after a couple of mins its putting too much fuel in left bank and get some nice flames out of exhaust so i think i need to strip and clean carbs and go from there,
oh and order a new startermotor from america.

cheers for the offer but im not sure if jets are same between 110 and 140? from what ive read 140's were differant because of the 4 carb set up,
not doing much yet still just checking things out on it and seeing what leaks there are, waiting for a Bonus to be paid at work before start buying things.

cheers Peter

That 140 lump was an excellent find!
Great that it's so complete - Will be interesting to see how it goes when it's installed. The 4 carb set-up looks a bit scary! :mrgreen:

Is that a lot of movement in the fanbelt or about right? Mine seems to be tighter... Apparently it did pop off when my friend test-drove the bus in AZ tho. Had read that they need a bit of room to move...

Hiya
I hadnt tightened belt up then and it did pop off on deceleration, now tightened
Bought it from a guy who imported a complete car and is fitting porsch running gear and a subaru engine and box so he just took the whole lot out in one go, fixed a leak on fuel pipe and changed the coil and a couple of other bits and it runs.
Fair bit of rust on head bolts so hope they dont have to come off but need to compression test to see how good it is but I might be lucky butdoing other one I know what im doing (ish) lol

Latest posts