Which Rear Wheel Arches for a 1971 camper??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Boyblue

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Apologies if this questions been asked and answered already but did a search and couldnt find anything so thought id ask....

I've recently bought a 1971 tin top camper (first one) which is pretty solid but could do with the rear wheel arches replacing. The ones it currently has are 'flared' and come to more of a pointed edge than the later style flared arches that have a definite 'flat' edge and they are totally different to the early small lip split type arches. The camper has the front discs, small 5 stud pattern and the small back lights.

This is a pic of the rear arch
rearwheelarch-1.jpg

So if anyone can shed some light on which arches are correct for my van, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all :)

Hi, my RHD April 71 has the same arches as a late. I have seen a very small number of vans (like 3 or 4 ever) that has arches like yours - one of them being my mates van (radish on here). The vans with these type of arch all seem to be USA vans. It puzzles me, maybe it was an early 71 model year (Aug 70 to Jul 71) one year only arch that VW decided to ditch once they had started making 72 / late arches??

HTH

Andy

Ahhh thanks for the pic and the reply!

Yep mine is a US Import and it is an Early 71, Aug 70 manufacture date i think but will have to check that!

Hmmm, seems like its going to be a real headache getting the correct arches if its a one year only thing! :?

Hi,

I have the same year - US 71 with narrow fives and discs up front - my rear arches are like this if that helps

18c1b694.jpg

Fortunate Son said:
The vans with these type of arch all seem to be USA vans.
I think it's just that most buses that age are dry state imports these days. My van was built in December 1970 and has the same arches (flat front, flared rear) and it's an Austrian import. I saw a UK RHD '71 last week which was the same. I think it's just a '71 MY thing.

There's a lot of one/two year only stuff on '71s but the rear arches are the same as late bay.

Hi, I started a discussion on this a fair while back
mines also a 1971 westy- Oct70 built, US import.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps!

Spence

Latest posts