When was the last time...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
You changed your steering box oil?

Might sound a daft question, but every so often I hear comments about how heavy the steering is.

I've had my bus for 6 years, and the steering box always gave a slight clunk and the steering was fairly heavy, despite having good steering joints and greasing the kingpin religiously.

30 mins to change the sludgy oil in the steering box for fresh and adjust the play, and what a difference :lol: Next to no steering play, and much lighter at the wheel too, with improved self centreing.

Just worth a mention in case, like me, you've been putting it off for too long 8)

glad you bought it up - as I hadn't put it on a to do list - mines got a filler at the top so assume I just need to drain it and fill with steering box fluid! nice as mines got a clunk but new parts so will see if this fixes it ;)

I've no idea if this is the 'correct' way, but to drain it I removed the adjustment bolt, and then used a tube to siphon the rest out.

Adjusting the freeplay when that bolt is replaced is simple enough with the wheels in the air.
The only other thing to do is re-filling the box. I found mine (RHD) could be filled from above using a short length of tube through the brake pedal hole in the cab floor. :)

I used the remainns of the oil I used when I did the gearbox oil (another job well worth doing if you've not already :D)

I think it's meant to be Hypoid 90 transmission oil, I used 80/90 for the colder climate here.

http://www.vw-resource.com/steering_box_adjustment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts