Travelling and Campig in The Netherlands.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent thanks dude! Just flown home from Amsterdam (I work there a couple days a week) so will check out on the web this weekend. We plan to go in June.

We have just come back from camping in Landsmeer,a few km from the centre of Amsterdam,a really lovely site on the edge of a lake,we hired bikes from a harware shop next door for 8.5 euro a day,the bus to the city was 10 euro retun for adults.The bus loved the flat drive from Dunkirk did it with ease,and the dutch dig busses.As regards speeding,lol,that would be a badge of honour I'd frame a speeding ticket.

EgoTrippin said:
The beach bars are great in Scheveningen. Very good place for many drinks ;)

Oh Yes !!

But be warned. The Dutch police have started to randomly breathalize drivers coming from the night boats, no way do I support drinking & driving, but it is too easy to board a ferry at 22:30 in Harwich, have a couple or so beers, then forget about the lost hour for EU time, leave the ferry at 7:30 (6:30) & are in trouble for zero tolerance.

Be Warned !

Im liking this thread, its got me thinking about travelling to abroad in Betty! Loads of useful info on where to go and stay.... well done people :D

Lee

I didn't get to make it this year, as I had to go away for work last week, but I'm thinking that it would be good fun to get the ferry across and then tour the beaches and tour round bruges on the way home.

Hey guys.

Ive just got back from Holland. We stayed 2 days at vliegenbos in Amsterdam. Its an awesome place very very quite at night and very accepting to old rusty bays.

Its 15mins from the centre via bike, and has good toilets and showers. You need to bring your own toilet paper tho.

We spent all our time smoking loads of lush greenery in the city then biking home with no problems, its so easy to find.

http://www.noord.amsterdam.nl/camping-vliegenbos

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-30%20at%2022.06.29.png

Not wanting to start a new thread - I'm heading over to Holland in April, I'll be having a look at some of the site listed above but also looking for some further places to visit whilst there.

We'll have plenty of time so any recommendations for places to visit would be much appreciated.

Whats the Weather like in April? I'm guessing similar to the UK?

In april the weather can go both ways. It can be sunny and reasonably warm during the day, but it can also be crappy. No telling.
What kind of things would you like to visit?

April 19 and 20 is the first barndoor gathering in Amersfoort.

Kieft and Klok is near Arnhem. They are probably the biggest bus selling company in Europe. Definitely worth a visit.

Resto-raider said:
In april the weather can go both ways. It can be sunny and reasonably warm during the day, but it can also be crappy. No telling.
What kind of things would you like to visit?

April 19 and 20 is the first barndoor gathering in Amersfoort.

Kieft and Klok is near Arnhem. They are probably the biggest bus selling company in Europe. Definitely worth a visit.

We are open to seeing everything

Cycling (I think most of Holland is good for that! But do they have much in the way of Mountain Biking?)
Walking
Museums
Cities

We may still be around Holland on the 19th / 20th so may give that a look, Kieft and Klok was also a planned trip.... just need to see how the route pans out.

Of all the countries we are planning to visit during our trip, Italy is the only one we have been to (With the exception of driving straight through Switzerland!)

Thanks

Our country is completely flat, so excellent for biking except for when it's windy.
Of course there are woods where you can go mountainbiking, but you won;t find any big hills, only a few 'bumps' in the terrain.
Except for the part where I live, the province of Limburg, between Belgium and Germany. There are some hills with steep slopes. This is where the Tour de France often visits as well as the World Championship Cycling.

I live in Valkenburg, very famous for its cycling history and touristic activities. For example walking, mountainbiking or driving a quad through the limestone caves.
Nearby is Maastricht. An old city with lots of shopping opportunities, historic places and museums.
There is a lot to see, a travel guide will probably give you a better idea of what to see and do.

I've also been to most other countries in Europe. If you have specific questions let me know.

Resto-raider said:
Our country is completely flat, so excellent for biking except for when it's windy.
Of course there are woods where you can go mountainbiking, but you won;t find any big hills, only a few 'bumps' in the terrain.
Except for the part where I live, the province of Limburg, between Belgium and Germany. There are some hills with steep slopes. This is where the Tour de France often visits as well as the World Championship Cycling.

I live in Valkenburg, very famous for its cycling history and touristic activities. For example walking, mountainbiking or driving a quad through the limestone caves.
Nearby is Maastricht. An old city with lots of shopping opportunities, historic places and museums.
There is a lot to see, a travel guide will probably give you a better idea of what to see and do.

I've also been to most other countries in Europe. If you have specific questions let me know.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated - As for other countries, we are visiting the following (and any that get in our way!)

Holland
Germany (VW / Porsche Factories are on my list)
C. Republic
Austria
Hungary (Maybe)
Croatia (Maybe)
Italy (Northern)
Switzerland
Belgium
Home via France / Holland.

We have 5 months so hoping it will be sufficient time to get everywhere we want to go... If you have any advice / gems for these areas that's much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

5 months? That's plenty of time.
Why not open a separate topic to unveil your travel plans and let others inspire you with great places to visit in each country.

Sounds like that's going one hell of an adventure.... My partner & I travelled in 2009 to France into Italy (Lake Garda) then north into Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium back to South Wales it has been the best holiday so far we done it over 3 weeks. 5 months should be amazing, I wrote a diary every night and it makes a great read even now!!! Excited for you!! :)

Bay-low71 said:
Sounds like that's going one hell of an adventure.... My partner & I travelled in 2009 to France into Italy (Lake Garda) then north into Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium back to South Wales it has been the best holiday so far we done it over 3 weeks. 5 months should be amazing, I wrote a diary every night and it makes a great read even now!!! Excited for you!! :)

Excellent, not to disimilar to our route but obviously a different time scale! I'm planning on keeping a diary too.

Did you do this in the Van?

Our best holiday to date was a 10 day drive to Italy (Positano), it was amazing in my old 968, I think the car / van can make the holiday, it wouldn't have been the same in my then Diesel Skoda!

I did it in a VW, but not my bay at the time I had a T25 LLE with 1.9tdi conversion would of been more realiable in a bay had a few issues but luck got us around & home...very lucky!! The throttle potentiometer packed up completely a few weeks after getting home it was intermittent during wet weather and kept going into limp mode, Kirsty my partner hated it, but just had to pull over leave it dry out and get going again!!!! I'll dig out some pics and post them up :)

So we head off on Wednesday, only the Ferry booked so far!

I think we are planning to stay around Rotterdam the first night, does anyone have any recommendations for Campsites in the area, there are some nice looking sites already mentioned above (which I have saved) but none seem to be near Rotterdam (Cycling distance).. Not sure whether to book somewhere or just turn up on the day but would like a location to aim for.

Thanks

Tom

We are currently staying at a lovely campsite on a farm called Bouwlust in Maasland. It's about 20 mins from Delft & the Hoek v Holland. The farm has cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, rabbits, guinea pigs, children's activities & it's even possible to arrange a gorgeous breakfast. The facilities are superb & it's really quiet. Would definitely come back again. :D

Latest posts