'possible' ebay scammer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my stupidly long winded email to ebay :p

I write this email to advise you of a suspected scammer on ebay username sabre-mark
ebay item number: 330569914282

I recently bid on a vw campervan for £2000,I recieved an invoice for 2150. The seller was saying he would deliver it 'straight away' for 150 as soon as i sent payment by paypal. I felt this was a little odd as the advert states buyer assumes responsibility for collection.
I offered to lay a deposit and the delivery charge and pay the balance on delivery- the seller refused and wasnt happy with that (unusual).
I offered to pay a deposit and pay the balance in cash in full upon collection and was told sorry "i can only take the full balance by paypal".
Ive bought a few cars over the years off of ebay and this was a little odd.
I offered to pay by paypal in his presence once I was with the van, he again says no as the van wont be released til the funds hit his bank.
I then offer to pay the 2k into his bank in his presence and this would avoid him paypal fees, again this was not acceptable it had to be by paypal.
Then I started to recieve messages and phone calls from friends who stated that the van had been relisted this raised my suspicions further.

the advert states the van is in essex, the invoice stated bedford.

his selling behaviour is unusual, and as a *************** myself, I recognise these actions to be the trait of a scammer. I recieved an email from ebay member dawniluvsoaps who stated that they too had the same concerns.

I have spread the word amongst the Volkswagen community, some people have asked to view the van and have been told that they cant view until the end of the auction. this again is unusual.

I have looked through all his feedback, and feedback left for others.
this again shows hallmarks of a scammer, a single ebay user has bought 3 items one a vehicle and 2 parts for different vehicles all after my negative feedback

" perfect discription wrong size for my car sorry, but a credit to ebay, cheers... perry11debbie ( 3 ) 01-Jun-11 13:13
Follow up by perry11debbie (01-Jun-11 19:13):
my mistake thought they would fit my van, nice guy though

new renault traffic steel wheels and tyres (#330570538515) £150.00 View Item
nice person accurate discription, sorry didn't fit my car but thanks a credit... perry11debbie ( 3 ) 01-Jun-11 13:13
Follow up by perry11debbie (01-Jun-11 19:12):
sorry the item didn't fit but thanks anyway nice guy

chrome foglight surrounds mitsubishi l200 (#330569270264) £16.00 View Item
very nice person, great honest ebayer perry11debbie ( 3 ) 01-Jun-11 13:13
Follow up by perry11debbie (01-Jun-11 19:14):
lovely car, and nice bloke.. A************
1993 TOYOTA SUPRA orange (#330549023993) £5,000.00 View Item

there are now others who have left negative feedback about lies and in particular in relation to this camper van.

I feel that by having 3 positive feedback from the same person after my negative comment, he has tried to bump up his feedback rating.

I will now send copies of our emails on here for your perusal.

Dear sabre-mark,

hi fella, I am the winner of your camper. I see you have been messed about before.
I can assure you that will not be the case this time.
I have the funds at home not in the bank, would it be you delivering or someone else? I too have been messed about on here before, I am happy to put some money in the bank and transfer it across, but with once bitten twice shy, I would be happy to transfer £1000 this evening (as I am at work in a couple of hours) plus the £150 delivery fee.and pay the other 1000 upon delivery. I am conscious that Paypal will take their fee too.
the alternative is for me to pay you a deposit this evening via paypal and pay the rest upon collection by cash.

let me know your thoughts

my name is Lee, my contact number is ***************

- leetheweeman

Dear leetheweeman,

Hi thanks for the message, it can only be payed for via Paypal in full, I understand what your saying about being messed about, but I've had arrange a flatbed to deliver it so no I won't be doing it myself, and to be honest as I've been messed about I'm not happy to release the camper until I've received full payment... Once received... Camper will be on it's way straight away, I'm not in a habit of messing others around, sorry but that's how I'd prefer to do business, hope this is ok, and the camper is yours now so no worries there...

- sabre-mark
Hi fella. Thanks for your message. I completely appreciate what you're
Saying. I have the funds ready to give by paypal. No person reasonably would
Part with 2k by paypal and then await delivery. As a police officer I certainly wouldn't. Can you provide me with days from Friday onwards that I could
Come and collect. When I'm
There I'll transfer paypal via my phone in your presence. Like I said I'm not here to mess you about and I stand by that. Ive got 100% feedback, I've been on eBay for years and bought Many v dubs in that time.
Although im at work my phone is on, I am the driver so if I don't answer, I'll
Phone back when I can.

Thanks

Lee

Dear leetheweeman,

paypal is a secure sight, to transfer funds, it takes two working days, to hit my account, so even if you pay when you come to collect it, the camper will not be released until all funds are clear,if your not happy to pay as instructed on my discription, then thats ok i'll just re-list the camper... ebay/paypal is a secure sight, designed to protect me as well as you... every detail i have given is correct in every way... if you don't trust ebay, and/or paypal then you should never have bid, sorry but the camper needs to be payed in full, via paypal, and cleared funds before it's released,,,

- sabre-mark
It may well be a secure sight but I've never met you.if you don't want my custom that is entirely your choice.
I want the van and i have the funds. If you prefer upon arrival I'll do a direct transfer of funds to your bank which takes half hour max from my bank account and that will save you paypal fees
Your advert talks about buy it now immediate payment not auction immediate payment.
I will leave the ball in your court, if the funds leave my account when I'm there then it's paid for, as you say paypal is secure. So why would you need to wait for it to transfer from your paypal to your bank?
In honesty and not being rude fella, how you want to take payment just doesn't sit right and that would be the same for any ebayer. Ive just discussed it with the lads in the office and they are of the same opinion as me.
It's your decision though fella, if I come and pay i take the van, but i won't transfer 2k to someone I haven't met. It just doesn't sit right. Your choice

- leetheweeman

Dear leetheweeman,

All I can suggest is that you make a 50% payment now, and then come and collect the camper by no later than close of day Saturday and pay the balance in cash, I hope this is exceptable thanks...

- sabre-mark

Dear sabre-mark,

What's your address ?
Why is the van relisted?

- leetheweeman

Dear leetheweeman,

That's cool, if you wanted the camper you would pay for it it's plain and simple it's re-listed because I feel your messing me around, and it will remain that way until it's payed for...

- sabre-mark

Dear sabre-mark,

I've had enough of all this now Dude. You show all the hallmarks of a scammer in honesty and i apologise if you
Are not. Youve relisted it before our conversation had ended. Im
Pulling out on that basis. Report me to eBay if you wish I'll provide them with
Copies of your messages to show how my thoughts are justified.

Good luck selling on.

- leetheweeman

Ebay I hope you can too see the hallmarks of a scammer here. As a police officer I have discussed it at lengths at the office and every other officer agrees.

I can be contacted at any time, my mobile number (uk)******************

please contact me with an update or if you require further info,

Kind regards

Lee"

Hopefully it will put him out of business , not holding my breath though

he doesn't even have the brains to make the 'question' believable! that 1st Question .....Really,who would ask a question about an item they were interested in and then go off into a rant about how other ebay members have messed the seller around?

I think he should stick to robbing socks off washing lines! :msn4:

after my bad feedback, allof a sudden one person leaves him good feedback for 3 different things and my negative feedback has disapeared !! how!!

Ridiculous :shock:

Incidentally, it is not against the rules of eBay Motors to sell outside of ebay. If the vehicle is advertised elsewhere then the auctioneer can cancel the auction something like 24 before the end.

Total joker. Shame there are people out there like this. Can people with an eBay account report the listing? I figure if enough of us do then hopefully someone might pick up the dodginess and sort it out.

Incidentally, the "Date of Liability" according to the DVLA is 01/11/2005...

If the vehicle has been SORN'd, then the date of liability is one year after that is first declared, right? So doesn't this status still have to be renewed annually?

Everything about the listing is fishy - I really hope this seller doesn't get away with ripping someone off :x

All of this just says "walk away" to me

I would never buy a vehicle without seeing it first, especially a Camper as the amount work potentially (and probably) needed could easily outstrip budgets.

Someone will buy it though, I can guarantee that.

my response from ebay was

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the report – No Action taken

Thank you for your email.I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad
experience with your seller "sabre-mark". I understand that you feel
that this member’s behaviour towards you was unfair and you believe that
they should be reprimanded for their actions.

We have looked at your complaint and have come to the conclusion that
this member "sabre-mark" hasn’t breached any eBay policy. We can’t take
action against the reported account as he hasn't breached any eBay
policy.

We know your time is valuable and we appreciate you taking a moment to
express your concern to us. Please continue to report any behaviour that
you suspect breaches eBay policy.

Kind regards,

Rosie Dwyer
eBay Trust & Safety

he even has set up a dummy account to leave himself good feedback, inclusive of selling a car, good feedback left, but the car got relisted??!!
looks like my ebay account is getting shut down any day due to not paying for this item!!

Latest posts