'possible' ebay scammer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lethal

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents, Ill try not to make this long winded

I was after a bay project- and pretty much bid on one I hadnt seen. bad skills on my part i know, but I was more than happy with it, something to keep me occupied for a few months.

upon winning (i won it for 2k) I recieved an invoice for 2150. The seller was saying he would deliver it 'straight away' for 150 as soon as i sent payment by paypal. I felt this was a little odd as the advert states buyer assumes responsibility for collection.

I offered to lay a deposit and the delivery charge and pay the balance on delivery- the seller refused and wasnt happy with that.

I offered to pay a deposit and pay the balance in cash in full upon collection and was told sorry "i can only take the full balance by paypal".
Ive bought a few cars over the years off of ebay and this was a little odd.

I offered to pay by paypal in his presence once I was with the van, he again says no as the van wont be released til the funds hit his bank.
I then offer to pay the 2k into his bank in his presence and this would avoid him paypal fees, again this was not acceptable it had to be by paypal.

Then I started to recieve messages and phone calls from friends who stated that the van had already been relisted over an hour ago.

the advert states the van is one place, the invoice stated another.
None of this sits right folks.

the guy may be genuine, but his ebaying skills are just crap.

here is the link to the one i bought, although it is back on ebay (for the 3rd time) he states he has been messed about 3 times now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330569914282&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

user name sabre-mark

obviously Ive had to pull out as I suspect he is a scammer.Shame really as I went and put the money in the bank especially for it yesterday.

just beware folks

ta

Lee

ive 'now' noticed his feedback left for others, two others on the same item, and me, he leaves positive feedback but a negative comment, one of the others talks about how he wanted all the money upfront

Just had a read of this... The van looks like it could be a good project. Shame its in the hands of a pleb. I'd always be cautious of someone that can't spell 'ammediate'

As with any project though, it would need carefull viewing before purchase and take anything the vendor says with a pinch of salt.

Hope it goes onto a better custodian...

Jim

one way to do it is ask for a viewing! surley anyone selling anything genuinly is happy for a potential buyer to look at it!!??

then if you're happy,take your phone/laptop and 'buy it now' & paypal out side his house & trailer it away! then you'll see whether he's legit. :?:

Not so sure it is a good project, according to DVLA its not been on the road since 2005 and is not SORN'd either. The owner says he's had it 18 months so how many times has it changed hands since it was last on the road and how many bits have gone missing. Looking at it it will still need a bit of welding and obviously putting back together if you can find all the bits!!

New listing now states 'AN AMMEDIATE DEPOSIT OF 20% .. NON REFUNDABLE, WILL BE REQUIRED BY WINNING BIDDER, VIA PAYPAL ONLY ... BALANCE TO BE PAID WITHIN 24 HOURS BY WINNING BIDDER, VIA PAYPAL ONLY, THERE IS NO CASH ON COLLECTION OPTION, THANK YOU....'

Forget it .... Anyone would only take cash ... they would have to pay PayPal ... who doesn't rather take cash unless it's hooky?

Doris i offered that, wasn't allowed to take the van until funds hot his bank account !!

I couldn't win no matter what i tried.

His way of taking payment leaves it open for him to do a bunk with your cash
No body is that stupid.

Just look at his feed back rating...72% positive! Forget it! It's actually pretty hard to get that much negative feed back on Ebay. Wide berth I'd say.

Just saw this on VZI.
Spreading the word eh? :mrgreen:
Looks like a Scammer or a Twat to me also (or both).

Rich

probably not a scammer but a knob. doesn't sound like a fair trader reading the feedback/questions - leave well alone. not worth the effort.

scammers would usually ask for all the money to be transferred and offer to deliver the bus to your destination. they won't let you view the bus before bidding/buying often implying they are away with work/ill in hospital etc so there's no way of looking at what you're buying. they will also try and convince you that buying through ebay gives protection etc and if there's any problems you'll get your money back.

i know the above as i got into detailed e-mails (no phone calls or direct contact) looking at a couple of buses and in both cases they came up with all of the above: quite convincing but the bottom line was you couldn't view/collect the bus, they would deliver to you after you had paid the money.

this guys simply sounds like a bad person to do business with.

moonmonkey02 said:
scammers would usually ask for all the money to be transferred and offer to deliver the bus to your destination. they won't let you view the bus before bidding/buying often implying they are away with work/ill in hospital etc so there's no way of looking at what you're buying. they will also try and convince you that buying through ebay gives protection etc and if there's any problems you'll get your money back.

thats exactly what he did, wanted 2150 by paypal, the van would be delivered 'straight away', people are asking to view and he states after the auction but you must pay immediately after auction by paypal only. He tried to convince me that paying him through paypal gives me protections lol

Looks like he's just sold it to someone for 2K. Will be interesting to see if it gets relisted.

haha...yeah you can totally tell from the writing style it's the same guy who wrote the ad! Too funny! :lol:

And the complete lack of capital letters, s'pose its better thane EVERYTHING ALL IN UPPER CASE :lol:

Latest posts