New relays = burnt out wires

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Evening all -

Just switched out my indicator and headlight relay for replacement units (from gsf) - I took the fuse box down, removed the old ones and put the new ones in place. At the same time I removed 2 wires from the fusebox that went to nowhere (I think from a previous stereo and air con units) - when I refitted the fusebox everything was as it should be until I stuck the earth strap back on the battery- there were sparks as I connected them, not hugely unusual but this bus doesn't usually do that so after a few seconds i pulled the earth off and looked in the cab - full of smoke! I absolutely cacked myself and got my extinguisher ready. After a minute or so it cleared up and I inspected what had happened. It seems that the wiring from
The fusebox to the headlight switch has totally burnt out and melted a couple of
Others near it. The headlights worked fine before and fuses were all good.

Could this be the relay? Or have I knocked something and it's shorted?

Cheers for any advice... George.

Have you compared the pin numbers and checked they are the same from one relay to the next?

Relays are same pin layout/numbers-

On inspection I've noticed that I may have put the wires for the brake warning light on the cluster on the wrong terminals- could that have caused a short like this? The earth from the dash cluster is a mess.

georgeyv said:
Relays are same pin layout/numbers-

On inspection I've noticed that I may have put the wires for the brake warning light on the cluster on the wrong terminals- could that have caused a short like this? The earth from the dash cluster is a mess.
It shouldn't do, the brake warning light should work whichever way it is connected up.
Assuming I have understood you correctly.

I would firstly get a copy of a wiring diagram and check you have the right coloured wires from each fuse to relay... It could be that it is a faulty relay, which is highly likely if one of the newer plastic housed ones... These are pretty bad quality.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

After a few hours mucking about I finally got to the bottom of it-
The dash cluster had shorted out on pin 30 of the headlight switch which is permanently live as soon as the battery is connected- that resulted in the thin live wire melting out and the ground wire from the cluster to the chassis melting too. A few other wires were slightly affected so will repair where I can and replace where necessary.

Relays hopefully fine when I get it all back together!

Latest posts