New Owner and New to EarlyBay.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flippergary

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am very... very.. very.. new to this forum. Nice to meet you all.

I have just bought a 1971 1600cc Westy import.. from California. A 'left hooker'. It has recently had a new engine (&gearbox, I think), all fuel lines replaced and new brakes. The body work seems in good condition.

I can't wait to get started on the project. I am confident that my knowledge and list of suppliers and contacts will grow, but to get the most important things done first, I need a little help to get started before the great British climate starts to get to work!!

I want to:

1. Body work.. panel repair.. one small hole.. battery tray work.. as far as I can tell.
2. Resprayed, head to toe.
3. A new roof canvas and a double bed (hammock) to replace.. the US Westy config in it at the moment.. a single.
4. New seals all-round (except maybe the door seals.. which function well.. we'll see?)
5. An engine tune up.. it was last tuned for operating at 5000'.. That may account for one of the flat spots.. the rest will be the 1600cc power house

asap...

He is parked near to Shaftsbury, Dorset at the moment SP8. I will be looking for a garage or garages, to take on the tasks somewhere between Exeter and SW London. In other words I am will to travel for a 'trustworthy and reliable' garage.

Garage quotes...... Uhmmmmmm..... a favourite subject. So, to that end, does anyone have a recommendation.. somewhere to take him for this kind of work?

Can anyone please help, me????????

Cant recommend a garage your neck of the woods but welcome :D

And post some PICS!!!

Welcome, :)
There's a few good peeps around your next of the woods Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset, Bristol area, & some are on here like Rocket also known as Rocket Ron, VW endangered species, Trowbridge, Wilts, so your asking in the right place.
I think you'll be getting a few more recommendations from some of the other Fella's on here.

Hi and welcome. Have a look around and make yourself at home. Ohh and can we have some pics please :D

Hi there ,, and a big welcome to you, you`ve picked a decent enough forum and you`ll get some decent recommendations from the peeps on here. There are `how to`s ' spotted all over the place on here, so enjoy the company and ask away :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Has anyone mentioned the need for piccys yet ?? :lol: ;) :lol:

Hi guys..

Thank you for all the 'welcomes'..

Pics are coming.. I am actually travelling at the moment.. They will follow, sorry for the delay.

Welcome.

For parts, there are (in no particular order)

A H Schofields
Custom and Commercial
VW Heritage
Status VW
Cool Air
Just Kampers

There are also others

Of the ones listed above, I have used the 1st 4 suppliers for nearly 20yrs.

One word of advice on rubbers -buy the best quality (and to be fair that goes with most other parts)

Hi Chap, and welcome!

I can't answer all your questions, but for the double bed, take a look at this thread.. http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=28066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, for paint, I haven't used them personally, but for a top to toe respray, I've seen excellent results from Midland Paintworks... If I recall correctly, they did the red paintjob on Mr Brightsides Red Bay currently adorning the front cover of Camper and Bus this month...

For a canvas, buy a Wolfsburg West one, bay a country mile the best in my opinion...

Hi Guys..

Well, finally back from my travels... and the only photo that I have of our new acquisition is one that seems too big to attach to the 'forum' ?? I don't have any more as yet because the bus is miles away at the sellers house.. Yes it's that new!! :shock: ....... Well, urrrrr...... new to us at least :D

As soon as this is sorted I will post the photo... do you compress your photos somehow?

Host your images on a site like photobucket and then paste the /img/ file in here and magically they will pop up on here!

Welcome along, pull up a chair, pour yourself a drink and ask away...or post some pics for that matter. :lol:
The search function on here is excellent for the majority of questions, but for anything just ask away. Good luck

Finally a picture !!

It's the only one at present.. more detailed ones late in Sep when I pick him up..

a4433450.jpg

Welcome, welcome, thrice welcome.

There are many on here who would question why you want to repaint it when it looks so tasty with the peeling paint :)

As said before, ask questions, search the archives and spend on the best quality you can, especially the window and door seals...

Latest posts