New Gearbox Popping out of Gear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Boyblue

Reaction score
Hi all,

Forgive me if this subject has been covered already. Did a search and nothing came up.

After having an issue with a supposedly 'repaired' gearbox, I decided I'd had enough of the whining and leaking so bought a new rancho box which I have had fitted. Its been my first drive in it today and its Loads quieter thankfully. The shift is quite tight, (which I'm putting down to it being new?) but the main issue is that is pops out of gear when I Lift the clutch in reverse and 4th. Is this a selection plate issue or something else? Shifting from 3rd into 4th it doesn't feel like its going in properly but the gear stick wont go any further.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all

When you change gear to 4th it pulls the gear rod forward, perhaps your gear stick and plate need sliding toward the rear of the bus a little.

Check the condition of the link piece just ahead of the gearbox. If there is excessive play here it will also cause this symptom.

Plus - When you installed the new box did you make sure the grub screw was properly engaged in the dimple in the gearbox selector shaft?

If both of these things check out as ok then try moving the gear lever base plate to get the engagement.

Cheers for the advice. All checks out ok and moved the plate. When the bus is stationary with the engine off it feels fine and shifts into all gears as I believe it should, when driving, it still doesn't feel like its engaging reverse, 2nd or 4th properly. It doesn't jump out of gear all the time. Just reverse and 4th occasionally.
:?

B-Boyblue said:
Cheers for the advice. All checks out ok and moved the plate. When the bus is stationary with the engine off it feels fine and shifts into all gears as I believe it should, when driving, it still doesn't feel like its engaging reverse, 2nd or 4th properly. It doesn't jump out of gear all the time. Just reverse and 4th occasionally.
Which way did you move the plate?

Trikky2 said:
B-Boyblue said:
Which way did you move the plate?

Towards the back of the bus. :?

You need to check that, when you select 2 4 or reverse, the gear is being fully selected.

If its not going fully into gear then the linkage may need fixing or modifying. For instance attaching the linkage on the gearbox a little further along the shaft.

If it is fully going into gear and still jumping out then there's probably a fault in the box.

Latest posts