Interior Restoration - step 1 removal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjdixon

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to give my interior an overhaul, I've not removed any of the units previously, can anyone advise me where to start? Guides etc, I assume its just a matter of finding the screws and removing

I have the side full height wardrobe and 3/4 bed with under storage, it has speakers cut into it etc but I would like to restore them to as near as original as I can...

Removal of all of this will then allow me to tackle the window rubbers and maybe a bit of paint (is this where a full resto starts?)

I don't want to start it anytime soon, probably after my holiday in September, which will soon be here...

Any help much appreciated.

For me, step 1 was working out exactly, and I mean exactly, what I wanted to achieve and why, before step 2, sourcing all the bits that I needed.

Step 3 was removal.

By the the time I got to steps 10 and further, I had changed my mind on a few things, prompted by what I discovered as I lived with the existing interior and had seen (and was inspired by) other peeps vans.

For example, if you want to restore a top locker, one with speaker holes in, you either want to use the existing as a template, or locate an original as a replacement. Start looking now, would be my advice.

And if you want to install anything that requires wiring, be it a Propex, Zig unit or speakers, that wiring is much better planned and completed before the units are fitted, IMO.

But as I say, that is only me......... :D

Thanks for the advice, I am happy with the layout I currently have and want to, if possible fill the holes, restore and re-laminate the current units, I may go for a slightly different finish to original but the layout is fine for us as it is. I had a traditional looking kitchen unit/buddy seat made a couple of years ago, this is the only bit I'm not 100% happy with, in hindsight i should have gone for a double seat not single for extra storage.

Part of the strip out was to allow for wiring routes to be found / improved.

At the end of the day, I'd like it to look original with a few modern touches.

Currently I have 2 6x9 speakers randomly cut in the waredrobe, I'd still like speakers, but obviously smaller and better located...

Latest posts