Front beam removal HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
Hi all does anyone know where the best place to put a bar/pole or anything else to lever out front beam. After 40 years of crud etc it just won't budge. Everything is disconnected handbrake cables,gear rod,brake pipes, speedo cable. I have tried scaffold pole, 1" barrel, crowbar etc still won't move, now going to get trade penetrating fluid,wd40 what ever I can get me hands on.
Much help would be welcomed, or if you live in herne bay area, a hand in exchange for beers would also welcomed. Don't really won't to get the angle grinder out just yet :(

I'd suggest putting the 8 beam bolts all back in on the thread, but not tight, and hit the beam with a hide mallet. This may help free up the beam, but don't hit with a metal hammer as it'll mark the beam. I didn't use any bars on mine, but I may just have been lucky.
Ensure you support the beam, as you don't want it dropping on the floor or any toes! I used a little trolley jack under the pivot pin to support before I removed my 8 bolts.
It must be kept level at all times, as it'll "wedge" otherwise as it's seated in a "V" hole. If you suspect its wedged, gently raise on the trolley jack to square up again.
As you say, give it a damn good soaking in penetrating oil beforehand.
If it's still got you hubs on etc it might be easier to lower as theres more weight.
Also note that there may be shims, these are used as packing around the x8 bolts.
Most importantly, ensure the van is properly raised/supported on axle stands and also chocked up with wood as precaution, wheels wedged/chocks and wear protective clothing etc. I was crapping myself doing mine!

Good luck

Thanks sharman, I've just given it a damm good soaking with wd40 and penetrating oil try with hammer later got it supported on trolley jack, vans on axle stands. I know the feeling of crapping myself, but seems stable enough.

Yippie got it out!. It only took copious amounts of swearing, bashing every which way I could with a 4lb club hammer, length of 4x2 and gallons of wd40 etc etc, and 2hrs later out it came much to my relief, and the neighbours. :lol:

Got to weld chassis legs can't post pictures yet computer mismantled using iPhone/iPad at mo. hopefully put some up next week, would love to lower it but due to lack of funds at mo have to put it on hold. :(

Well done - was going to say lump hammerers - one each side. Once it starts move you have it. Careful with your welding - you've got to get it back on. :)

Thanks zedbed will bear that in mind as there were no shims it was really tight.
Putting it back on should be a laugh :lol: will have copper grease to hand me thinks.

Latest posts