First bay, inaugural road trip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fig

Reaction score
Hey volks

After driving split buses for 17 years, my wife and I recently bought our first baywindow, a RHD 1969 SO67R westy.
We bought it unseen, based on the few pics in my intro post in the General forum. We knew it had thrown a rod,
so it was towed to an engine builder who came up with an uncut case (gave it its first line bore), and built us a
balanced 1835 with a CW crank. It's still single port with a stock Brosol carb. I had driven my sister's ex-71 westy
with 1600DP, and I wanted more oomph. I wasn't disappointed!

The bus was checked out at the shop and brakes, steering, gearshift, etc checked out fine, which was good news, as
I had budgeted for further repairs.

The bus was found near Cape Town, 1,000 miles from where we live in Johannesburg, and it will stay there as we
are often in the Cape. We flew to CT and picked up the bus and went on an immediate 700km, two-day road trip.

We're very happy with our new bus. 8) It's got a crusty nose and bubbling paint here and there; otherwise
in pretty good nick.

False Bay from Cape Peninsula:
379980.jpg

Just-washed 69 westy, with 69 Martin Walter Dormobile behind:
379979.jpg

Struisbaai harbour:
379977.jpg

Tortoise warning. Our bus is called Skilpad, which is Afrikaans for tortoise:
379976.jpg

Tradouw's Pass:
379974.jpg

Cape fold mountains:
379973.jpg

Looking good - liking the scenery down your way and what better way to check it all out in!

Good luck.

hello mate and welcome, ace bus 8)

Great pics Top secenery! 8)

I was looking at a SO67R at VW Action which was for sale, does yours also have the fresh air ducting through the cabinets?

You've taken some fantastic pictures there - it looks like you had a great trip too in your fantastic bus! 8)

Maybe Mike F would be interested in some of your pics for his next calendar/project???

;)

I keep this bus in the Cape, about 1,000 miles away from where I live in Johannesburg, so I don't get to drive it much. Here are some pics of my latest road trip, last week:

In case anyone thinks the sun always shines in SA:
459732.jpg

After four days of rain and flooding near Cape Town, it was good to find the sun again:
459726.jpg

Swartberg Pass:
459718.jpg

Latest posts