Engine problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bay window tin top
I have a 72 bay crossover . Just discovered a wobble on the crank pulley. Further investigation showed sideways movement about 4-5ml on the crank shaft. What do I do now? Is it a full rebuild? If so where would I get that done or is it something simpler (he says in a rather optimistic manner). Any advice great fully accepted.

Don't know if I'm reading it right but I'm thinking end float, but 5mm sounds a lot to me, I've none.
You did check it's torqued up to 32ftIb I think.

If the crank is moving half a centimetre side to side then I am astonished the engine runs at a all. The implied damage would suggest replacement rather than repair.

The engine was running when I noticed it but I have not run it since. Will I need to replace the crank shaft and bearings?

Howie58 said:
The engine was running when I noticed it but I have not run it since. Will I need to replace the crank shaft and bearings?

:( At least, I would suggest, if that really is as bad as you suggest :shock:

If it's moving that much it's likely the case is toast.

When I said replacement I meant the engine, not the bearings.

Hmm, if it really is that bad, then possibly not, though it's posible certain parts will be salvageable from your existing engine to build into a new one, if you want to keep the costs down. That much movement implies to me (and I freely admit I'm only a VW novice) that the crank has machined away its bearings and lots of the meat that supports them. Cracnk might even be cracked/ snapped, that's a (remote) possibility but it has happened to someone on here before IIRC.

However, from my own personal experience (cars in general, this is, not just my VW van), I tend to find that I end up doing the whole works 'while I'm at it' with the aim of reducng faff in the future... It might also herald time for an upgrade, if you've been planning one, again 'whilst you're at it'...

Hopefully it isn't as bad as you think and is just a loose pulley. If the crank genuinely has got that much play and was running up until that point, it would have been making one hell of a bad noise. What did it sound like when it last ran?

No noise while running it but I think it's only just happened and I spotted it while it was stationary sitting on the drive so it hasn't been driven around like that. Just looking for the most cost effective and reliable way to resolve it

Things like that generally don't just happen ...never heard of such movement ..if you drop the oil it will be full of metal if it it is knackered ....

Howie58 said:
No noise while running it but I think it's only just happened and I spotted it while it was stationary sitting on the drive so it hasn't been driven around like that. Just looking for the most cost effective and reliable way to resolve it

If it wasn't making any noise before, that's a good sign - that kind of play could never happen without any warning signs, so touch wood your engine is fine.

Post a video up of you wobbling the pulley - it will help the guys on here who are clued up on rebuilding these motors.

I don't understand this at all!

At the beginning of the thread I suggested the pulley was at fault and you were adamant that it was the crankshaft.

The problem you describe is very basic. The information you provide makes no sense. I suggest you get somebody to take a look at it.

Latest posts