Engine out - best jobs to do

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry if its been posted a million times before.

Got to do my clutch this weekend so taking the engine out my bus, the question is what are the other jobs I should/can do with the engine out.

Ive got two on my list already replacing the petrol pipes and fitting an alternator.

Just wondered what else should I get done whilst I have the opportunity, any checks, maintenance, tweaks etc

thanks in advance

Karl

GIZ59 said:
i"d check the oil cooler 4 sure,and gear rod bushes (all).

Yep, will give the oil cooler a clean and got my gear linkage kit to, may even finally fit my gene berg locker :roll:

bananacustard said:
Starter bush.

ordered one of those :)

Harry UK said:
Fix any leaks from pushrods tubes/oil cooler.

ordered new seals too :)

Thanks guys for the responses, hope i get it all done in two days :!: :shock:

Remove your battery and clean and paint the trays. Check the drain holes are clear and maybe fit an extinguisher kit. Clean the battery terminals and inspect all wiring. Re instal battery and ensure it is bolted down. Attach power leads and grease the clamps.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Nugsy, where did you get your gear linkage from, and how much?
Possibly looking to get this done myself while the engine is out
Cheers,

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

If you're running a single carb then check/replace the rubber seals on the each side of the inlet manifold where they join the main upside down T-piece.
Bitch of a job with the engine/alternator in place as I found out last summer.
Spence

remove tank, flush it out and cut an access panel in the floor so you can get easy access to the sender unit on top of the tank in the future, other wise its engine out, tank out, replace sender, put the lot back in!

Change spark plugs , check choke, valve clearances , starter bush , check fuel lines / put fuel filter by gearbox , check cv bolts are tight , drop gearbox oil and replace , grease clutch arm and threaded end bit and don't forget to prop your gearbox up before removing engine

;)

Chris

:shock: thanks guys, all added to my list and some parts order. Looks like ive got a long weekend ahead of me. 1st time with the engine out so learning as I go but needs must.

Doing Euro Disney and Normandy in July so will be good practice should it be needed again :?

Foz said:
Nugsy, where did you get your gear linkage from, and how much?
Possibly looking to get this done myself while the engine is out

Its only the gear rod fittings kit from just kampers. Bought it not long after the Gene Berg shifter group buy, but never fitted it, then the fire, then getting a LHD and having to swap the shifter. Gunna do it now no excuses

http://www.justkampers.com/211-798-211-gear-rod-fitting-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts