Engine not firing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bay window tin top
My fan belt broke recently so I changed it but ever since then the engine won't fire. The crank pulley turns but no ignition.

Have you checked if you have a spark at the plugs?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Upload a pic of your engine bay, sounds like something has become dislodged either when the fan belt came off or when it was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check you haven't accidentally pulled one of the wires off the coil. I had this happen when I replaced the air tubes recently.

I take it “the crank pulley turns” means when you turn the key the engine turns over but won’t fire. I would go with gagvanman you’ve disturbed a wire. Check battery is connected check wire on top of alternator and check the wires to the coil. Did you hit anything that sparked when sorting the belt. I ask because I have done that and blew a fuse. Hope you get it sorted

Ok so I have a spark at the plugs and a spark at the points , the King lead is ok , checked the fuses but still nothing. What am I missing.

Do you definitely have fuel pumping, is it attempting to fire at all?

Hmm fuel and a spark should equal something, so your definitely getting fuel to the heads? Even if your dizzy was totally out you would get some form of firing/misfiring

Yes checked the fuel supply. I took the pipe off the pump and turned it over. Collected the fuel in a jar. I also changed the fuel filter.

Blockage in the carb /needles? Is the fuel definitely reaching the heads ?

http://www.vw-resource.com/car_wont_start.html#rotates

Carefully, carefully slip the air filter off, then get some petrol in in a bottle cap about milk bottle size, then slap one or two of these caps of petrol into the carby taking care not to splash petrol everywhere and taking care not to drop the cap into the carby at the same time. You`ll then have juice in the carb and it might start. If this works then its a fuel supply problem and we can work that out later, if the motor don`t start or at least fire, then its probabobally not a fuel supply issue.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,go careful and don`t slop juice everywhere :mrgreen:

P.S. put the top back on the petrol can too :mrgreen:

Latest posts